Squash bugs

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have squash plants, and also pumpkins that have squash bugs on them.
I have looked at U-tube videos and have tried some of their suggestions.
I tried 1/2 cup of Dawn soap in a gallon of water. It did kill the squash bugs, but also damaged the leaves. I then tried 1/4 cup of dawn in one gallon with the same results.
I have tried diaomaceous earth food grade. I have a duster that fogs the dust really well, but I can't see that it has any effect on the squash bugs. I dusted a couple of the bugs and put them in a jar. Twenty four hours later they were alive and healthy. Maybe I need a different kind of diaomaceous earth.
I have tried tape to get the eggs off the leaves but have found that to not work very well. The best thing I have found is to rake the eggs off with my fingernail into a container.
I have also had luck putting a cookie sheet under the squash plant, and shaking the bugs into the cookie sheet then I dump the bugs in a bucket of soapy water.
I don't want to use poison. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dang. I use 1 tbsp of Dawn dish soap and it does not work on squash or stink bugs or caterpillars. I wished it did. It does work on other things like beetles and aphids and I use dish soap the most but too much soap can dry up the wax on the leaf and dry it up too.

I think you can use Bt on worms and neem on squash and stink bugs and worms, if you want an organic solution.

Tape or scrape? Just take your finger and thumb and smash the eggs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have squash plants, and also pumpkins that have squash bugs on them.
I have looked at U-tube videos and have tried some of their suggestions.
I tried 1/2 cup of Dawn soap in a gallon of water. It did kill the squash bugs, but also damaged the leaves. I then tried 1/4 cup of dawn in one gallon with the same results.
I have tried diaomaceous earth food grade. I have a duster that fogs the dust really well, but I can't see that it has any effect on the squash bugs. I dusted a couple of the bugs and put them in a jar. Twenty four hours later they were alive and healthy. Maybe I need a different kind of diaomaceous earth.
I have tried tape to get the eggs off the leaves but have found that to not work very well. The best thing I have found is to rake the eggs off with my fingernail into a container.
I have also had luck putting a cookie sheet under the squash plant, and shaking the bugs into the cookie sheet then I dump the bugs in a bucket of soapy water.
I don't want to use poison. Any suggestions?
Gosh. That seems like a lot of Dawn to water. I've squirted them into a jar of soapy water, which works but is time consuming. I've also
tried the tape on eggs and found it worthless. Now I carry two little square pieces of wood with me in my garden apron, and press them together with the eggs in between. Squashing them with my fingers worked as poorly as the tape. The little wood blocks work well, but leave a scar, which seems better than the bugs. It's time consuming, too, but my garden is small. I do love diatomaceous earth. I've read it can take from hours to days for it to work, but it does work, unless it gets wet. Not sure how humidity affects it. Your cookie sheet
is a creative idea! Wish I had a brilliant, organic solution, but all I have is the same problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Use bT. IF they eat it they starve. Use spinosad, its organic but a total killer so "bee" careful. Pyrethrum is the natural extract of chrysanthemum if you can get some. Essentail oils or use neem oil, keeps it coated and stinky for a while so its not tasty and messes with the egg laying. Use lure traps, places they hide at night like under a board.

Last edited:

Ask a Question