First time growing spaghetti squash it's supposed to turn yellow not green right?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm confused about whats happening with the spaghetti squash I'm growing it went from yellow to looking more like a watermelon see photos the younger fruit is yellow as this one was but it started to turn green with stripes the last few weeks. Is this normal or did it cross pollinate with something?

Attachments

• PXL_20230803_200336564.jpg
    PXL_20230803_200336564.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20230803_200334376.jpg
    PXL_20230803_200334376.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
United States
Any idea if it will be edible? I do have zucchini in the garden I never thought about it crossing

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Did you re-use the seeds from last year? I mean take some seeds from the fruit and use them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you re-use the seeds from last year? I mean take some seeds from the fruit and use them.
No its all a fresh planting the garden wasn't used for several years. It's on my stepmothers ranch she hasn't used it properly 10+ years, all seeds were from packs

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would cut a slice and fry it in butter, rather then the trouble of cooking it all nice in brown sugar just to find it's not tasty. At least that will let you know the flavor.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's skin is getting hard like a spaghetti squash needs to be. I'll pull it next week and see whats inside? Giving it a little more time to harden up , I don't know if I should be scared or excited?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It's skin is getting hard like a spaghetti squash needs to be. I'll pull it next week and see whats inside? Giving it a little more time to harden up , I don't know if I should be scared or excited?
It might be really good, it's definitely worth trying. You might need to bake it a little more or less depending on the inside texture so keep that in mind. And it might not string with a fork the way spaghetti squash is suppose to. But it still might be really good. I've had crossed happen and always test them like I say frying in a slice with butter, salt and pepper just to get an idea of flavor and texture before dedicating it to a meal. But often times it's good, with some adjustments to the recipe.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mostly breads and cakes I'm looking at other recipes I might try ? The zucchini has been really bountiful for me. The corn was my first failure? I don't know what happened to them it's the first time it's happened to me. The stalks only grew to 2' tasseled 3 weeks ago all the pollen is gone now they are silking? Its probably the soil I'm temporarily in Michigan was in Pennsylvania the ground is so different here. It's a big ranch with sandy soil about 20 miles from lake Michigan sorry for the rant I was just thinking of.allthe corn I'm not going to enjoy 😔

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Mostly breads and cakes I'm looking at other recipes I might try ? The zucchini has been really bountiful for me. The corn was my first failure? I don't know what happened to them it's the first time it's happened to me. The stalks only grew to 2' tasseled 3 weeks ago all the pollen is gone now they are silking? Its probably the soil I'm temporarily in Michigan was in Pennsylvania the ground is so different here. It's a big ranch with sandy soil about 20 miles from lake Michigan sorry for the rant I was just thinking of.allthe corn I'm not going to enjoy 😔

No worries about the rant, that's what the forum is for. I don't know much about corn, I don't grow it because the raccoons always get to it before I do. But @Meadowlark is extremely well knowledgeable and will offer some advice on corn :)

Ask a Question