First time growing spaghetti squash it's supposed to turn yellow not green right?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
If it tastes bitter, then don't eat it and especially don't force it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been doing it for almost 40 years and I eat some wonky stuff being a foodie but I'm still alive. I don't know, I guess because if it tastes bitter I don't eat it. If it tastes good I do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm just glad I know about this now I was going to cut up a bunch of Zucchini and make breads with it, now I will check each one before using it. I told my sister to taste the cuke I gave her before eating it, she's braver than me she said she has a Iron stomach nothing with hurt her? I hope the one she has is ok.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm just glad I know about this now I was going to cut up a bunch of Zucchini and make breads with it, now I will check each one before using it. I told my sister to taste the cuke I gave her before eating it, she's braver than me she said she has a Iron stomach nothing with hurt her? I hope the one she has is ok.
I don't doubt it's true but unless you have major health problems for me personally I don't worry about food poisoning. I've had it a million times in my life and suffer through it just like the cold and flu but never died yet. Although for my own lawsuit safety incase something happens to you I don't suggest you do what I do lol. I would look at stats of how many cases of food poisoning there is reported each year and how many people actually die from it then decide for yourself lol. That said, I still wouldn't eat bitter fruit. It is gross, why eat something that doesn't taste good? Lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't doubt it's true but unless you have major health problems for me personally I don't worry about food poisoning. I've had it a million times in my life and suffer through it just like the cold and flu but never died yet. Although for my own lawsuit safety incase something happens to you I don't suggest you do what I do lol. I would look at stats of how many cases of food poisoning there is reported each year and how many people actually die from it then decide for yourself lol. That said, I still wouldn't eat bitter fruit. It is gross, why eat something that doesn't taste good? Lol
I understand this is my first time growing anything but corn, tomatoes and peppers, just some odd things happening I didn't know about. Just like tomatoes I know almost everything about them that all green parts of the tomato plant is extremely toxic! (Nightshade) at one point humans thought the entire tomato plant was toxic. It's definitely not a good idea to chew on a tomato stem or you'll have a very bad day.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
What happened with your corn?
I have no idea ? The corn and carrots have basically failed They grew to about 2' then nothing for over a month 2-3 weeks ago they tasseled then nothing all the pollen has dispersed, a few days ago they started to silk with nothing to pollinate them. It's the strangest thing I've ever had happened to corn. Everything else seems ok so far. Lots of Cherokee Purple Tomatoes, some Romas, and a type of rainbow 8' in size now, some bell peppers and Italian peppers, the carrots I planted 3 times hundreds of seeds I have maybe a dozen carrots that emerged? I spent a lot of time preparing the soil for the carrots nice and soft did everything right kept them covered for a few weeks so they stay damp. I've grown them before. I think it's just the area I'm not familiar with. It's My sister ranch she just inherited in Michigan I'm from North Central Pennsylvania.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It might be worthwhile to run a soil test since it's a new area to you and you've seen these problems. That's what I would do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I cut it open today not sure what to make of it? It smells fruity has a slightly sweet taste? My best description is a slight watermelon odor? I do have watermelon growing also but its pretty far from where this Spaghetti squash grew. Can Watermelon and Spaghetti squash cross? iDK?
PXL_20230806_161423985~2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I cut it open today not sure what to make of it? It smells fruity has a slightly sweet taste? My best description is a slight watermelon odor? I do have watermelon growing also but its pretty far from where this Spaghetti squash grew. Can Watermelon and Spaghetti squash cross? iDK?
View attachment 99252

Waterspaghemelon fruit, the new flava flav 😂

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can Watermelon and Spaghetti squash cross? iDK?
No.
Watermelon is Citrullus lanatus
Spagetti squash is Cucurbita pepo
The first word is the Genus, the second word is the species. They have to be in the same species (which would also be the same genus) to cross pollinate. Different species can not cross pollinate. Basically any variety of summer squash will cross with each other so if it cross pollinated, it was from a different variety of summer squash. Winter squash is a different species so it wasnt that either.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It looks like Lebanese zucchini - so the other possible cause is the wrong seed in the wrong packet. It happened to me last year too - and the same substitute - leb. zuch. instead of blackjack.

Ask a Question