First time growing spaghetti squash it's supposed to turn yellow not green right?

Reaction score
Country
United States
No worries about the rant, that's what the forum is for. I don't know much about corn, I don't grow it because the raccoons always get to it before I do. But @Meadowlark is extremely well knowledgeable and will offer some advice on corn :)
The family warmed me about the Deer I put up a 3D electric fence it kept them out, I wasn't sure if it would work? But it does as long as I don't forget to turn it off before going in, I've done that a couple times ouch.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The family warmed me about the Deer I put up a 3D electric fence it kept them out, I wasn't sure if it would work? But it does as long as I don't forget to turn it off before going in, I've done that a couple times ouch.
That's what I should get is an electric fence. It's about the only thing that works for keeping animals out. Yes, they hurt lol. I use to do beekeeping and used one for that, got zapped more then a few times lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They said they didn't work because the deer would just jump over them but a some school in Michigan or Indiana said setting them up in a 3 D fashion they won't jump, all I had to do was run one extra tape around about 18' from the main fence and deer can't negotiate it so they stay away even if it's not electric, I put up some cameras to see what happened they come up look and turn around. So simple yet so effective.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It might be really good, it's definitely worth trying. ...
If it is for sure a cross between zucchini and spaghetti squash (and indeed they do cross when in close proximity), then it very likely will be toxic. Cross-pollinated squash is very likely to contain huge amounts of the toxic compound cucurbitacin.

If it is bitter tasting, then by all means do not consume it. Certainly, do not force it. Caution is advised here.

Sorry to be negative but better safe than sorry.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If it is for sure a cross between zucchini and spaghetti squash (and indeed they do cross when in close proximity), then it very likely will be toxic. Cross-pollinated squash is very likely to contain huge amounts of the toxic compound cucurbitacin.

If it is bitter tasting, then by all means do not consume it. Certainly, do not force it. Caution is advised here.

Wow, I didn't know it could be toxic!! Although I've never eaten it if it doesn't taste good. Good to know. I don't know how two plants that are both very edible can cross into something toxic? I believe you, it's just hard to figure out.

Reaction score
Country
United States

That's good to know, what I know of cucurbitacin is it's bitter would it be safe if.the fruit isn't bitter tasting?

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Man, I'm going to stick with grocery store squash from now on and keep growing my friendly tomatoes and peppers etc. That really is scary, I've been gardening all my life and never knew that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Man, I'm going to stick with grocery store squash from now on and keep growing my friendly tomatoes and peppers etc. That really is scary, I've been gardening all my life and never knew that.
I just told my sister not to eat the cucumbers I gave her i have a bunch of zucchini I'm afraid to use now

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It really comes into play for seed savers...the fruit produced from a cross like that will almost always be bitter...not so much on the original fruit but the fruit from the crossed seeds.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just told my sister not to eat the cucumbers I gave her i have a bunch of zucchini I'm afraid to use now
I need to read up on this. I find it hard to believe gardeners like myself are not dropping like flies to their death because of toxic garden fruits but at the same time I believe Meadowlark. It's just hard to grasp that gardens can be deadly lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
It really comes into play for seed savers...the fruit produced from a cross like that will almost always be bitter...not so much on the original fruit but the fruit from the crossed seeds.
Ok so the original cross should be safe then? I have so much zucchini in harvested but haven't used yet.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I know harvesting seeds from hybrid plants is pointless for those reasons, I just didn't know it was toxic

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found this information about crossing it's usually safe but is a gamble.
Screenshot_20230803-182049.png

Ask a Question