How to tell if butternut squash is safe to eat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted seeds saved from butternut squash we grew from store-bought plants last year. They are doing well, and the fruit LOOKS like butternut. I don't know if the plants we bought last year were hybrid or heirloom. How can I tell, when they ripen, if these butternuts are okay to eat? Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I planted seeds saved from butternut squash we grew from store-bought plants last year. They are doing well, and the fruit LOOKS like butternut. I don't know if the plants we bought last year were hybrid or heirloom. How can I tell, when they ripen, if these butternuts are okay to eat? Thanks.
It would be safe to eat, but it might not be tasty.. or it might be. Only way to know is try one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
They sound hollow like a melon when ripe. The flesh changes inside. The skin should be in good form. You can trim one out and nibble it. Are you safe to eat worried in a certain way like toxin or safe to eat worried like rotten or green?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
They sound hollow like a melon when ripe. The flesh changes inside. The skin should be in good form. You can trim one out and nibble it. Are you safe to eat worried in a certain way like toxin or safe to eat worried like rotten or green?
There is so much conspiracy about using non GMO and hybrid I think new folks to gardening think it's the link to nuclear glow in the dark toxic sludge lol.

Ask a Question