Ok please tell me what this plant is. Supposed to be a cantaloupe? ? Only one that looked like this

Reaction score
Country
United States
41A14B51-C492-47A5-A5E4-970381D3540F.jpeg
this is the mystery plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am almost positive that what you have is some variety of gourd. It will bloom just like any cucurbit and have male and female flowers. A telltale sigh of it being a gourd are white blooms. The vast percentage of melons, cucumbers, cantaloupes, squash etc all have yellow blooms. And the vast percentage of gourds have white blooms. And it looks like the wild gourds that grow all around Texas. If it is the same it will have round tennis ball sized fruits which are totally useless. Even hungry cattle won't eat them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
A telltale sigh of it being a gourd are white blooms. The vast percentage of melons, cucumbers, cantaloupes, squash etc all have yellow blooms. And the vast percentage of gourds have white blooms. And it looks like the wild gourds that grow all around Texas.
Never knew that. I only grow edible squash so have only seen them as yellow.

Ask a Question