Squash bugs HELP

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had squash plants for the last 6 years straight, the past 3 years I seem to get squash bugs no matter what I do. Typically I use need oil, even though I don't like to use anything in the garden. Is there any way to get rid of them naturally? Where are they comming from? Should I take a break from squash plants next year, will that even help?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dishwashing soap and water applied directly to the bugs will kill them but you'd probably have to be vigilant if you have a ton of them. Vinegar (full strength) works on all sorts of pests too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
By squash bugs do you mean leaf footed stink bugs? If so then Neem, spinosad or soap is what to use but the secret is to not let the eggs hatch in the first place. By close observation of the underside of the leaves will see the eggs before they hatch and all you need do is smash them with your finger. The female will overwinter in the soil come out and lay her eggs usually on the underside of the leaf. Usually about 20 or so in a group. The eggs can be reddish, brownish, yellowish depending on which variety of bug it is. When you see the first bug you can be assured that eggs have been laid. When the eggs hatch the nymphs will be little grayish bugs with either black or red legs and they will normally stay all together and are easy to kill at this stage. It is when they are mature that they really cause problems and by then it is usually too late

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Over there, the lady bugs are the killers of squash. We sometimes have squash in our backyard but all we get are flowers (we eat them as vegetables). They are normally attacked by lady bugs, the yellow ones that eat the leaves. Since we cannot eradicate those bugs, what we do is to stop planting squash. That's what we also did with tomatoes when aphids attacked them.. we stopped planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've had them the last two yrs.yrs,adults over winter under leaves,logs,rocks and come out in spring, in the morning or afternoon,i go out with 2 tbsp of dish soap to gal. of water in 1 spray bottle and 1 spray bottle of water and some good sticky tape, use tape for eggs,soap spray for live bugs give it a minute to kill live bugs then. use straight water. to spray off leaves,where you sprayed soap,if you don't leaves will turn yellow.

Ask a Question