Straw bales and squash bugs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I planted zucchini in a straw bale this year and it's working great. Then...squash bugs. I'm trying to stay away from insecticides and read soapy water will work. To save chasing bugs every day till they're gone could I mix a 5 gallon bucket with soapy water and soak the bale (where I believe they're hiding)? Would the plant take up the soapy water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I planted zucchini in a straw bale this year and it's working great. Then...squash bugs. I'm trying to stay away from insecticides and read soapy water will work. To save chasing bugs every day till they're gone could I mix a 5 gallon bucket with soapy water and soak the bale (where I believe they're hiding)? Would the plant take up the soapy water?
Adult squash bugs are difficult to kill with real pesticides. Soaking the straw with soap will do nothing about them. Direct spraying them with soapy water has a little effect. If you had looked on the bottom of the leaves you would have seen the eggs or the baby stink bugs and they are easy to kill but it is a tad late for that now. Organic pyrethrin works on them and so does spinosad somewhat. Otherwise, it's the old thumb and forefinger method. And no, the plant will not take up the soapy water.

Ask a Question