Does Diatomaceous earth really kill bugs?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried some food grade DE on some squash bugs. I put the bugs in a jar and sprinkled the DE on them. 24 hours later they were alive and well. I put some of the DE on ant hills. It did nothing to the ants.
I then got some DE that was rated to kill bugs but had the same experience. It didn't kill the squash bugs and didn't seem to bother the ants.
Any one have a different experience?
Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The best way to use DE is with a fine mist of powder and no clumping. IF you put bugs in a jar with a lot of DE you are not using it correctly. When used correctly DE can help in the garden.
There are several benefits for using diatomaceous earth in an organic garden, including eliminating the need for chemical pesticides.
  • Aphid Control. ...
  • Ant Killer. ...
  • Organic Pest Control. ...
  • Slug Away. ...
  • Fly Deterrent. ...
  • Maggot-Free Compost. ...
  • Reduce Rodent Population. Google

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any one have a different experience?
Maybe I am doing something wrong.
It will only kill bugs with a hard exoskeleton. And a fine mist is critical because bugs will avoid walking through it otherwise. An applicator came with my diatomaceous earth, but I did have trouble consistently getting that fine mist.

I worked for an agency that provided information and assistance to the elderly. An issue that came up fairly often was bed bugs. Extermination literally cost thousands and so many couldn't afford that. So I researched how to get rid of bed bugs and that's how I learned about diatomaceous earth which I'd never heard of. We got a lot of grateful feedback from clients who used it.

I had a flea infestation one summer, gifted to me by Jenny, my German Shepherd. That was the first time I tried diatomaceous earth personally. It worked beautifully and so so quickly! Don't give up. It's great stuff. You may just need to tweak the way you use it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Because it cuts into the exoskeleton on a microscopic level drawing moisture out of the body I imagine it would take a while to kill them depending on the size of the pest. But when I use it I can tell they don't enjoy it and usually leave the plant alone, it would probably feel like getting completely covered in paper cuts to them lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the information. I didn't mention but I do have a dust applicator which I used on a squash bug. I dusted the bug, put it in a jar and a couple of days later it was still alive.
How long does it take for DE to kill a bug? Maybe I didn't wait long enough.
Thanks again for all the information.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the information. I didn't mention but I do have a dust applicator which I used on a squash bug. I dusted the bug, put it in a jar and a couple of days later it was still alive.
How long does it take for DE to kill a bug? Maybe I didn't wait long enough.
Thanks again for all the information.
Probably depends on the bug. I've read it can take from hours to days. I'm assuming your DE was dry in the jar. A couple of days, though, kind of surprises me.

Ask a Question