Brush mower workings

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi
I've recently bought a used Husqvarna brush mower.
I've had it running, and it seems a savage bit of kit!
I've a couple of questions:
The pull start is a bit tempermental so I've rewound it and it works ok, but fitted to the machine the rope tends to gets stuck out.
Could the spring be tired? It looks ok.
Secondly, does it run via a clutch to the blade? The blade spins freely but it cuts ok once started, so I figured it's clutch driven.
Is it also possible that the clutch, if it has one, could be making it difficult to start?

That's sort of 3 things really I spose!

I'd like to poke about the easy bits before I commit to the shop!

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi
I've recently bought a used Husqvarna brush mower.
I've had it running, and it seems a savage bit of kit!
I've a couple of questions:
The pull start is a bit tempermental so I've rewound it and it works ok, but fitted to the machine the rope tends to gets stuck out.
Could the spring be tired? It looks ok.
Secondly, does it run via a clutch to the blade? The blade spins freely but it cuts ok once started, so I figured it's clutch driven.
Is it also possible that the clutch, if it has one, could be making it difficult to start?

That's sort of 3 things really I spose!

I'd like to poke about the easy bits before I commit to the shop!

Thanks.
I guess a model might be helpful. Pics too. I see no brush mowers for sale? I do see brush cutters and brush trimmers though. Perhaps my confusion is the word mower?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think you have a heavy strimmer they call a brush cutter. They make blades for them. Yes that would be a centripetal clutch. I have seen them bend the clutch pads and have used shims and washers to reset the spacing on worn machines. If its a mower it is likely a direct drive.

If it s a 4 cycle go ahead and reset the valve lash as a regular maintenance. If it is a two cycle buy a carb kit or a new carb and especially do not forget the car to manifold seal. Someone has worked on the machine. They likely replaced the pull cord and made it too long. The model and serial number helps determine the age and details.

Reaction score
Country
France
Thanks for the replies.
It appears the fella that sold it to it me had lost a spacer or washer.
I dropped it in at my local shop and he replaced the missing bits and serviced it for only 58 euros, so I was happy with that, knowing it's right again.
It's one of these.
Like a mower, but for brush and long grass.

20221023_112352.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I had bought a used lawn machine made by Toro much like that. Twin blades were on a cogged belt. But get this, I discover the ends of the blades would strike each other if they go knocked 90 degrees out of position. I sold it before the inevitable happened.

Reaction score
Country
France
I had bought a used lawn machine made by Toro much like that. Twin blades were on a cogged belt. But get this, I discover the ends of the blades would strike each other if they go knocked 90 degrees out of position. I sold it before the inevitable happened.
Sounds like it should have had a geared arrangement.
This has a single blade, similar to a big shredder with raised lugs for smashing the undergrowth.
I like it!

Ask a Question