Please help. Crimson bottle brush is dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
my next door neighbor is an elderly fella, but he still tends to his yard quite nicely. He has this crimson bottle brush tree that for some reason has started dying. Has anyone seen this? There doesn’t seem to be a bug infestation that we can see and the bark looks good still but it appears it’s dying from the inside. There is a good amount of landscaping and vegetation around it.
6352ADFE-72AE-451B-A3E9-127DFC138133.jpeg
82F17A95-D62D-4F66-BE4F-7EC932ACB04B.jpeg
03C3DBBF-42B9-40EF-898E-C54987377034.jpeg
08BF63B6-7313-4CDC-A933-72F60DEB32D2.jpeg
3457A503-6312-48DC-9D20-F79ACB22369D.jpeg
None of the plants around it are dying or even fading. Any help in any proper direction would be amazing!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I don’t know the cause but there are a couple of things you can do that should help. First, remove the bulbs from around the base. They are competing with the tree for moisture and nutrients. Second, put a good mulch in the bare circle around the tree. If nothing in the trees environment has changed it may have reached a size where it is not receiving enough nutrients from the ground. If it doesn’t show improvement in a couple of months I would call an arborist to come out and check it out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t know the cause but there are a couple of things you can do that should help. First, remove the bulbs from around the base. They are competing with the tree for moisture and nutrients. Second, put a good mulch in the bare circle around the tree. If nothing in the trees environment has changed it may have reached a size where it is not receiving enough nutrients from the ground. If it doesn’t show improvement in a couple of months I would call an arborist to come out and check it out.

He’s pretty good at taking care of his stuff. He feeds,fertilizes and waters on his own. Then he had an irrigation system that he maintains really well.

The palms have been there for more than a decade from what he tells me. But I’m sure that tree is much bigger than it was a decade ago. So they could still be an issue.

It’s been going on for about a month. I tried googling it but I couldn’t find anything useful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Really does look sorry for itself. Callistemon are are targetd by, mealy big, scale insect and red spider mite. However these attacks mainly relate to specimens grown under glass. For such damage/dieback it's looks more serious. During the growing season they need lots of watering. The soil at the base needs to be loosend up, and kept tilthed. Then a tree surgeon might take out the dead wood. From the photo, the future diesn't look too good.

Ask a Question