Black tulips

Reaction score
Has anyone outside the Netherlands ever seen a black tulip? Some people might or might not know it, but there are black tulips! They happen to be my favorite tulips, because they are so unique and the black colour is one of my favorite winter colours :) So far I have only seen black tulips in the Netherlands, sadly most pictures I have found online of them do no justice to those beautiful tulips! They look way better in person, believe me!

black%20tulips.jpg

Black-Tulip-flowers-29859686-349-299.jpg

200404-Black-Tulips-800x600.jpg

Queen-of-the-Night.jpg

queen-of-the-night-tulips-dg.jpg

Reaction score
I think they are quite beautiful and stately. I can see why they would be your favorite. I have seen magazines that sell tulip bulbs and the black ones are in there but that was ages ago. I have not received one of those magazines in a while. I should probably look them up and see if they will send me a free magazine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never seen black tulips in person, they must be pretty rare.
Anyway, black is my favorite color, so I find them gorgeous! They look so mysterious, romantic and elegant. I would love to grow them! Somehow, they remind me of vampires:)

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I've ever actually seen one in person! I knew they existed, but maybe that's just because of photos I've seen on the Internet. You can bet next spring I'll be looking! I agree, they are very, very lovely!!

Reaction score
If you did, there is no way you'd ever forget it ;) Hahaha, but seriously, black tulips look way better in person. I don't know why most cameras don't seem to capture the true shade of this amazing flower. It's quite similar to taking the photography of a purple morning glory. For some reason most cameras have troubles with that kind of colours!

Reaction score
I've never seen black tulips in person, they must be pretty rare.
Anyway, black is my favorite color, so I find them gorgeous! They look so mysterious, romantic and elegant. I would love to grow them! Somehow, they remind me of vampires:)

Omg, really? I also love black, lol! Not many black flowers out there (that I know of), so we can safely assume black tulips are quite rare :) I plan to get a lot of them if I ever move to Holland. And, they also remind me of vampires and other stuff ;) I'd like to get some black and white tulips, maybe throw some dark red ones in the mix ;)

Reaction score
I think they are quite beautiful and stately. I can see why they would be your favorite. I have seen magazines that sell tulip bulbs and the black ones are in there but that was ages ago. I have not received one of those magazines in a while. I should probably look them up and see if they will send me a free magazine.

So you never got to buy black tulip bulbs? That's a pitty! I imagine how interesting a garden in the US or anywhere outside the Netherlands would look with a bunch of black tulips :) I'd probably plant them almost everywhere :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Omg, really? I also love black, lol! Not many black flowers out there (that I know of), so we can safely assume black tulips are quite rare :) I plan to get a lot of them if I ever move to Holland. And, they also remind me of vampires and other stuff ;) I'd like to get some black and white tulips, maybe throw some dark red ones in the mix ;)
I would love to see a garden in which only black tulips grow. I'm sure it would look stunning and so different from what we usually see:) A mix of black, white and red tulips also sounds great. They're beautiful plants.
I would like to try to grow them indoors!

Reaction score
Lovely pictures Trellum - I too love black flowers and would agree with you, somehow, photos just don't seem to do them justice, as they are not always able to capture the beautiful sheen and velvety texture of black flowers.
I would love to see gardens with black flowers intermingled with creams or vibrant purples, but unfortunately although there are quite a number of varieties to choose from, black flowers will remain fairly rare and quite difficult to get hold of, as they mostly snapped up by the florists.
As I mentioned, there are quite a few different plant varieties available, that have black flowers, some of which you may wish to add, as companions to your black tulips such as black pansies, hyacinths, hellebores or some of the following

Black Irises - which all come in varying shades of black

black iris 0.jpg

BlackIrises.jpg

iris black.jpg

black iris 2.jpg

this one is called 'Draculas Kiss'

iris draculas kiss 1.jpg

Black Calla or Arum Lily

black-calla-lily2.jpg

The fragrant Black Rose ' Baccara '

black rose.jpg

or the beautiful black Asiatic Lily called 'Black Charm'

lilly black.jpg

So as you can see, there is plenty of choice when it comes to black flowers, and although many of the above are not available as plants, you'll be pleased to know, that they can be grown from seed, most of which are available online.

Reaction score
Wow @gata montes ! Those flowers are just mind blowing, specially the black cally lily!!!!!! LOL, uhm, that flower looks like a goth person's dream!!! I mean, that flower is black with some red... a bloody shade :D But seriously, those flowers are just beautiful. Sadly I'm useless when it comes to growing things from seed, but I could ask my future father-in-law to do it for me :oops:

Thanks for sharing those amazing pictures! In the future I might get a black garden... I'm kinda bored of bright and intense colours, I need a change!

Reaction score
I would love to see a garden in which only black tulips grow. I'm sure it would look stunning and so different from what we usually see:) A mix of black, white and red tulips also sounds great. They're beautiful plants.
I would like to try to grow them indoors!

I might do that in the future, but maybe instead of white and red, I will just use a dark shade of purple (my second favorite). By the way, I asked my boyfriend to ask his dad about the tulips indoors (I had forgot about it - my mind is a mess!) and he said it was possible. You just needed to put the tulip next to a window with lots of light.

Reaction score
Trellum,- you're welcome - thought you'd like the black Calla Lily, especially as they are another of your favorite plants.
Your right when you say, that these flowers would be a ' goth ' persons dream - they apparently are, which is actually how I found out about them, as I once had to help someone who was into everything ' goth ' who wanted a black garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Trellum - Thank you for the information!!!:D I'll definitely grow tulips indoors then. I must buy bulbs:)
Gata Montes - Wow, I had no idea there are so many black flowers! I love them all, but my favorite is the fragrant black rose, it's so gorgeous. Now, I dream about a garden where I could plant only black tulips and black roses and maybe black irises. I would walk there in one of my black dresses:D

Reaction score
You're welcome, Claudine :) By the way, I really like the idea you just described... it would make some really interesting pictures ;) It would be really interesting to see a garden with all those black flowers :)

Reaction score
Trellum,- you're welcome - thought you'd like the black Calla Lily, especially as they are another of your favorite plants.
Your right when you say, that these flowers would be a ' goth ' persons dream - they apparently are, which is actually how I found out about them, as I once had to help someone who was into everything ' goth ' who wanted a black garden.

Oh lol, really? Now that's funny and very interesting! ''A black garden''! Was it here on the forums or you mean in the real life? :) I haven't seen a goth person in years (in real life)! But glad to hear there are people out there who are still interested in this sub-culture, at least in some aspects, like for example black gardens :D

Ask a Question