Black tulips

Reaction score
I love love love tulips!! Those are absolutely beautiful! I am striving for a variety of tulips in a designated area of my yard. I want all different colors, and this would be a great color. The only thing that would make tulips better is if they lasted a little longer. Mine usually make it through spring and then dwindle off around summer.

I really like tulips, but as you said they seem to be really short lived blooms :( They're be perfect if they could last longer! I guess that' why my in laws don't really grow them in their garden. They plant other things that tend to last longer, at least until winter sets in :)

Reaction score
I love these. I have a flower bed that is full of tulips that are yellow and red, I would love to plant some of these darker ones. They would just pop and be so beautiful and unique. I don't think I would plant only black tulips, but the color variation would be awesome to do. I will definitely have to look for some.

I hear ya :) I'd actually love to have a full field (different sections) of black and orange tulips! I think I'd have the best looking bed of flowers ever! No one would miss it and I bet it'd be seen so easily.... even from far away.

Reaction score
Honestly i have seen photos in magazines showing off black flowers but i have never seen any in person and i am hoping one of these days i'll be lucky to see one anyway i'll be on a hunt for the fragrant black rose as they're simply beautiful.

Reaction score
Do black roses really exist? :O I have heard about them, but I honestly thought they were either just artificially colored with dyes or something like that. It would be interesting to have a black rosebush :p As for black tulips, I just saw them a few months ago in person, really beautiful, but I must say most cameras don't really capture the color that well. It's a shame.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Hi Trellum!:)
I'm pretty sure that all black roses are artificially colored. I've never seen a real black rose in person. Some of them are very dark red, but it's not the same.

Reaction score
Hi Claudine! That is good to know :) I was also thinking a black rose was just too much, but those dark red ones sound divine as well =D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow..black tulips! I want some of those! I love dark color like this, and from the photos, they looked more like deep deep purple. I don't mind these color, and I believe I would fall head over heel for them if I see them in real life too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lovely pictures Trellum - I too love black flowers and would agree with you, somehow, photos just don't seem to do them justice, as they are not always able to capture the beautiful sheen and velvety texture of black flowers.
I would love to see gardens with black flowers intermingled with creams or vibrant purples, but unfortunately although there are quite a number of varieties to choose from, black flowers will remain fairly rare and quite difficult to get hold of, as they mostly snapped up by the florists.
As I mentioned, there are quite a few different plant varieties available, that have black flowers, some of which you may wish to add, as companions to your black tulips such as black pansies, hyacinths, hellebores or some of the following.

So as you can see, there is plenty of choice when it comes to black flowers, and although many of the above are not available as plants, you'll be pleased to know, that they can be grown from seed, most of which are available online.

I am just in love with all of these flowers in black color! I have a deep purple iris in the garden, but it is not nearly as deep as the one you showed. The cala lily is just amazing and beautiful. I haven't seen this color before.

Reaction score
I am just in love with all of these flowers in black color! I have a deep purple iris in the garden, but it is not nearly as deep as the one you showed. The cala lily is just amazing and beautiful. I haven't seen this color before.

Gorgeous aren't they and yes although it is true that most of the black flowered plants tend to be more of dark purple than black - there really are some that in certain lights do really appear to be black and as there are now many more varieties of black flowering plants becoming available - I hope you'll manage to find some - so that you can enjoy the pleasure of looking at them growing in your garden too :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gorgeous aren't they and yes although it is true that most of the black flowered plants tend to be more of dark purple than black - there really are some that in certain lights do really appear to be black and as there are now many more varieties of black flowering plants becoming available - I hope you'll manage to find some - so that you can enjoy the pleasure of looking at them growing in your garden too :)

They are growing at the moment, but I do have some pictures of them from last year. I also have golden color, light pink, and light blue. I just love to see flowers growing.
IMG_0275.JPG
IMG_0830.JPG

Reaction score
They are growing at the moment, but I do have some pictures of them from last year. I also have golden color, light pink, and light blue. I just love to see flowers growing.View attachment 5850 View attachment 5851

As all mine finished flowering well over a month ago and I'm now having to wait until next year to see them again - I was delighted at the sight of yours when visiting this thread - so many thanks for adding a bright spot to my day - especially as they do look absolutely gorgeous :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
My whole aim to visit Amsterdam was to be amont tulip fields but we missed it by just a week. Leave alone black I have not seen any tulips although there were some in Switzerland but they did not impress me. :(

Reaction score
My whole aim to visit Amsterdam was to be amont tulip fields but we missed it by just a week. Leave alone black I have not seen any tulips although there were some in Switzerland but they did not impress me. :(

It's a shame, if you visit Amsterdam you shouldn't miss the tuilips. Next time drive around the fields in Hoorn, you will surely see whole fields full of tulips. They can all be see around this time of the year, it is super impressive.

Ask a Question