Black tulips

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The last picture is gorgeous, Gata Montes! I love it, Colocasia Esculenta is a stunning plant!
I'm wondering if plants with black leaves need to be grown in shade? Or maybe they like direct sunlight? Do they have chlorophyll? It's very interesting!

I would love to see an all black garden at night!:D

Reaction score
These are absolutely stunning flowers. I understand people might be a little disconcerted to receive a gift of a black bouquet but I wouldn't! Imagine them as a focal point in a garden surrounded by yellow or another vibrant color. They would just pop right out of the landscape and scream "hello!". So pretty and very unusual.

I have seen black tulips but I've never seen most of these others. Simply beautiful.

Reaction score
claudine - I love these plants in all their various forms, but think they look particularly stunning in their black leaved form and yes that last picture is my favorite too - think it is a very tasteful and striking combination and would just love to have a few of those dotted around the garden especially as they would be truly spectacular, eye catching sight :)

There are quite a few varieties of the black leaved form all suited to various conditions, but the one in the pictures can be grown in sun or part shade and in fact the more sun it receives the darker the leaves will go :)so yes even though dark leaved plants don't normally like much sun this one doesn't seem to mind and actually seems to thrive on it - but it would need a bit of afternoon shade, if it were grown in an area that received long hours of intense sunlight during the summer months.

All plants with dark or black foliage have less chlorophyll than green ones and I too would love to see an all black garden at night, especially with the moonlight enhancing and defining all the differing outlines

Reaction score
The black tulips are called "Queen of the Night". I have a bed of them mixed with lily of the valley. I will try to post pictures when they start blooming in a month or two. You can usually find the bulbs in any home improvement store. P.S. I LOVE them!

Reaction score
Has anyone outside the Netherlands ever seen a black tulip? Some people might or might not know it, but there are black tulips! They happen to be my favorite tulips, because they are so unique and the black colour is one of my favorite winter colours :) So far I have only seen black tulips in the Netherlands, sadly most pictures I have found online of them do no justice to those beautiful tulips! They look way better in person, believe me!

black%20tulips.jpg

Black-Tulip-flowers-29859686-349-299.jpg

These are unique tulips. I haven't seen too many of them but I have seen a few. Most people prefer the bright colors for tulips. However, black tulips can be grown in America. I've seen them growing right here in Upstate New York even though I have never planted them.

200404-Black-Tulips-800x600.jpg

Queen-of-the-Night.jpg

queen-of-the-night-tulips-dg.jpg

Reaction score
The black tulips are called "Queen of the Night". I have a bed of them mixed with lily of the valley. I will try to post pictures when they start blooming in a month or two. You can usually find the bulbs in any home improvement store. P.S. I LOVE them!

Thanks for the bit of info :) I'm soooo looking forward to checking your pictures out! I love black tulips and I just can't get enough pictures of them; they are so beautiful!!!! :)

Reaction score
Personally, I've never dressed in full ' Goth ' attire, I've never been a Goth, but I often wear black lace skirts, black sweaters and black dresses:) I love this color! In my opinion it can look girly:D
Look at this 'Onyx Odyssey' Helleborus, it's so pretty:

prod002862_lg.jpg

That's a very pretty and big flower :love: Is it some kind of tropical flower? By the way, I think the black colour is super elegant :) I'm no longer into dressing ''goth'', but I still wear a lot black clothes! I love them. I've a really cute tiger sweater that is black (minus the white head of the tiger). I love it :love:!!!!

Reaction score
I'm thinking that all these black flowers although very attractive themselves, could really do with the addition of some foliage to complete the look - so here are few plants that I think are well worth considering adding to an all black garden

Alocasia - black amazon elephant ears

View attachment 1624

Colocasia Esculenta - Black Elephant Ears

View attachment 1625

View attachment 1621

View attachment 1622

Think that these plants would look really stunning in an all black garden and that they could even add a slightly menacing almost eerie effect - for those that wanted to some extra atmosphere to there gardens :D and would be especially so at night :eek: don't you think ?

Gata montes... the third and the fourth pictures are just... AMAZING!!!!!! (y) Omg... they do look really eerie, but they look much better when they have some green around!!! That's why I liked the third and fourth picture!!!!!:love: I wonder if these are hard to take care of. I'm guessing they're tropicals. I must google them asap :D

Reaction score
claudine, - I'm sure you would and think you'd probably have great fun scaring people :LOL: especially as you have the necessary pale skin for a vampire look :D speaking of which - how about adding some blood colors to complete the vampire look with some of these red and black lilies
Those red and black lilies are amazing! Lilies are one of my favorites, I have never seen those before. What are they called?
View attachment 1538

View attachment 1537

View attachment 1539

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That's a very pretty and big flower :love: Is it some kind of tropical flower? By the way, I think the black colour is super elegant :) I'm no longer into dressing ''goth'', but I still wear a lot black clothes! I love them. I've a really cute tiger sweater that is black (minus the white head of the tiger). I love it :love:!!!!
No, it's not a tropical flower, but I agree that it looks like one:). You can read more about it in this thread, you'll find some gorgeous pictures there: https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/helleborus-winter-flowering-perennial.1539/ :D
I couldn't agree more, black is very elegant! I don't understand why so many people think that it's a sad color.

Reaction score
firelily99 - The lily in the picture is one of the Tango bi-color series and is called ' Olina ' but be careful when choosing as there is a another lily in the same series that is very similar called ' Starburst ' - which unfortunately although red and black is in no way as spectacular as ' Olina ':)

Reaction score
No, it's not a tropical flower, but I agree that it looks like one:). You can read more about it in this thread, you'll find some gorgeous pictures there: https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/helleborus-winter-flowering-perennial.1539/ :D
I couldn't agree more, black is very elegant! I don't understand why so many people think that it's a sad color.

Ahh, now I remember!!! I didn't because I had never seen a black one :) I remember that thread. It's about the winter flowers :) It's a bit old, if I recall right. A black garden for the winter ;)

Reaction score
I love these. I have a flower bed that is full of tulips that are yellow and red, I would love to plant some of these darker ones. They would just pop and be so beautiful and unique. I don't think I would plant only black tulips, but the color variation would be awesome to do. I will definitely have to look for some.

Reaction score
I love love love tulips!! Those are absolutely beautiful! I am striving for a variety of tulips in a designated area of my yard. I want all different colors, and this would be a great color. The only thing that would make tulips better is if they lasted a little longer. Mine usually make it through spring and then dwindle off around summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Francy, I couldn't agree more! Tulips should last much longer. In spring, I had received tulips in a pot from my boyfriend. Unfortunately, they withered after around two weeks:cry: I wish they could bloom more than once a year. They're so beautiful, I want to be able to look at them all year long :love:

Ask a Question