Black tulips

Reaction score
claudine, glad you like them - don't know why :D but for some reason thought that the black rose would be your favorite. I think the fact that you enjoy wearing black could be a big advantage, especially when walking round your black garden, at least you would merge in to the landscape and be able to walk round and admire your black flowers, without anyone bothering you :)
Although I too enjoy wearing black, I'm not sure that I would actually want an all black garden, especially as I've actually seen one, so would introduce some other colors like creams or vibrant purples to bring the garden to life.

Trellum, - No, it was actually in real life - although some time ago now, that I had to help out with someones desire to have a ' goth ' garden, and believe me although it was unusual and very striking - it was extremely black :D
As far as I was aware, the ' goth ' trend never truly died out and have recently noticed, that its once again becoming quite popular - so I would stock up on your black tulips and calla lilies while you can.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pictures of the black flowers are lovely. I like the black iris, it looks like something I could add to my garden this spring. I knew about the black rose, but did not know there were so many other flowers in the black color like the calla lily that one I see all the time but white.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
claudine, glad you like them - don't know why :D but for some reason thought that the black rose would be your favorite. I think the fact that you enjoy wearing black could be a big advantage, especially when walking round your black garden, at least you would merge in to the landscape and be able to walk round and admire your black flowers, without anyone bothering you :)
Although I too enjoy wearing black, I'm not sure that I would actually want an all black garden, especially as I've actually seen one, so would introduce some other colors like creams or vibrant purples to bring the garden to life.
I'm not sure if I'd merge in to the landscape, because I'm extremely pale:p
But I'd walk there and I'd imagine I'm a vampire. I'm sure I'd manage to scare a few people if they saw me, haha, it would be fun:) And romantic in some ways. All black garden sounds like something taken out of a tearful fairy tale.

Reaction score
I have not seen them in person, but I agree that they are very pretty in pictures. They are probably much prettier in person. I would very much like to see them in person. Tulips are my favorite flowers and it would be very exciting to see black ones. :)

Reaction score
That's a pitty, Kaylah! I hope you can see them one day in person, specially if you are a huge tulips enthusiast! I also love tulips, and I'll be traveling to the land of tulips soon (aka the netherlands). Sadly all tulips will be dead by the time I arrive there. I'm just a few weeks away...!

Reaction score
claudine, - I'm sure you would and think you'd probably have great fun scaring people :LOL: especially as you have the necessary pale skin for a vampire look :D speaking of which - how about adding some blood colors to complete the vampire look with some of these red and black lilies

black and red asiactic lily Olina.jpg

black and red lily.jpg

black and red lily 1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata Montes, wow, these lilies look ominous!:D
Kaylah, I've never seen any black flowers in person either. I dream of it though. I guess I'll have to purchase bulbs and try to grow a few tulips on my own. I hope I'll succeed.

Black tulips aren't more difficult to grow than regular, colorful ones, are they?

Reaction score
The pictures of the black flowers are lovely. I like the black iris, it looks like something I could add to my garden this spring. I knew about the black rose, but did not know there were so many other flowers in the black color like the calla lily that one I see all the time but white.

Same here pat! I knew about a few black flowers, but didn't know there were so many :p I think black irises are nice :) They look very interesting and would look well in any garden. You should really go for it if you can. I might totally go for black tulips!

Reaction score
Trellum, - No, it was actually in real life - although some time ago now, that I had to help out with someones desire to have a ' goth ' garden, and believe me although it was unusual and very striking - it was extremely black :D
As far as I was aware, the ' goth ' trend never truly died out and have recently noticed, that its once again becoming quite popular - so I would stock up on your black tulips and calla lilies while you can.

Hehehe, a goth garden is nice :) I'd love to organize a Halloween party in a goth garden ;) I actually love Halloween parties, I think a goth garden would be great for that. It would be great for the rest of the year as well. I might miss the colours tho. So...maybe I use the backyard for that ;)

Really? You have seen goths lately? I haven't seen gothic people in a long time, all I see is emo kids and also kids into ''vampirism'', that's not even close to a goth :(

Reaction score
Hehehe, a goth garden is nice :) I'd love to organize a Halloween party in a goth garden ;) I actually love Halloween parties, I think a goth garden would be great for that. It would be great for the rest of the year as well. I might miss the colours tho. So...maybe I use the backyard for that ;)

Really? You have seen goths lately? I haven't seen gothic people in a long time, all I see is emo kids and also kids into ''vampirism'', that's not even close to a goth :(

You know - I'm sure you've got some ' goth' blood in you somewhere :D especially as you like all black gardens, but would agree an all black garden would be the ideal place for a Halloween Party, especially as at night it would be likely to have an extremely eerie atmosphere.:eek:
Yes really, although I haven't seen many recently, there are apparently still quite a lot of 'goths' around, who like to sit around listening to The Cure - whilst enjoying their black surroundings :D

Reaction score
I actually love that sub-culture ;) Sadly no goths over here! LOL, would you believe me if I told you I used to dress ''goth'' when I was younger? I'm still goth at heart.... I just love everything goth! I love listening to Sopor Aeternus (still - since I no longer listen to other bands of this genre). I just love how she sings about themes that are considered taboo... the music is so beautiful, sometimes the lyrics are as well. Might not have the best voice, but wow... ''she'' can really make music! Strangely enough I never feel depressed listening to that!!! LOL. I love the way ''she'' describes things, also her interpretations of several Poe's poems are really impressive!!! LOVE IT!!!

Would be cool to have a black garden :p I'd probably go there at night, sit and listen ''Les flurs du mal'' ;) By the way, I no longer dress like a goth :whistle:

Reaction score
Trellum,- Thought you did - maybe you should consider moving to The States and especially New York, where there is still quite an active ' Goth ' population :D I can well believe from what you've said, that you dressed in full ' Goth ' attire and although you say you don't now - I feel pretty sure that some of your clothing still has a pretty strong ' Goth ' influenece to it, especially as you love everything black - including all black gardens lol :D

Reaction score
Trellum,- Thought you did - maybe you should consider moving to The States and especially New York, where there is still quite an active ' Goth ' population :D I can well believe from what you've said, that you dressed in full ' Goth ' attire and although you say you don't now - I feel pretty sure that some of your clothing still has a pretty strong ' Goth ' influenece to it, especially as you love everything black - including all black gardens lol :D

I actually love purple and black :) The darker the purple is... the better! I also like grey ;) But the way I dress now is way more uhm... ''girly''. I never thought I'd dress like I do now, lol. Things changed, life changed... now the way I dress is ordinary (but nice). Sadly moving to the states isn't in my plans, but would be lovely to take a look ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Personally, I've never dressed in full ' Goth ' attire, I've never been a Goth, but I often wear black lace skirts, black sweaters and black dresses:) I love this color! In my opinion it can look girly:D
Look at this 'Onyx Odyssey' Helleborus, it's so pretty:

prod002862_lg.jpg

Reaction score
I'm thinking that all these black flowers although very attractive themselves, could really do with the addition of some foliage to complete the look - so here are few plants that I think are well worth considering adding to an all black garden

Alocasia - black amazon elephant ears

black alocasia.jpg

Colocasia Esculenta - Black Elephant Ears

Black elephant ears.jpg

BlackMagicElephantEars.jpg

blackfoliagejpg-cef7f40d9a92b535.jpg

Think that these plants would look really stunning in an all black garden and that they could even add a slightly menacing almost eerie effect - for those that wanted to some extra atmosphere to there gardens :D and would be especially so at night :eek: don't you think ?

Ask a Question