Black garlic

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I purchased a black garlic machine to make my own black garlic. It's suppose to be very healthy and lately I've been on a bit of a health kick. To me it tastes like sweet balsamic vinegar, I am not sure if I like it or not lol. I eat it for the health benefits but other then that I prefer regular garlic. Anyone into this black garlic stuff? I would love to hear some ways to use it in cooking, so far I just eat the cloves with crackers and cheese.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never heard of that until you posted it. I like some garlic but it leaves my breath stinky and I usually eat so much at once it burns. Does it have that garlic burn to it after it is fermented?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Thank you for asking the question, Pepper.

As a result, I read up on black garlic and may give it a try with some of this year's crop. Interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Love Black Garlic, I get it from an herb store about 15 mins from me. Run by an Amish family. They make it.
To me it tastes like candied garlic. But, anyway, How I cook with it. I keep it as natural as possible, to respect its flavor. I will dice it up, not fine, and let it simmer so very gently in a pool of butter. Meanwhile I will scramble up some eggs and then poor the eggs in the pan and gently merge both together, keeping my eggs on a creamy side. A little salt and then put all on a dry toast. And that is how I cook my Black Garlic. it is yummy. BTW, its totally my treat, no one gets it ever. just for me.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I never heard of that until you posted it. I like some garlic but it leaves my breath stinky and I usually eat so much at once it burns. Does it have that garlic burn to it after it is fermented?
No burn or garlic smell. It is odd.. one of those things you have to try to understand. Best I can describe is sweet balsamic vinegar and the texture is like a very soft gummy bear. My honest opinion is it's a health thing... The flavor in my opinion isn't going to blow your mind but it's not horrible.. it's worth a try. Expensive as heck though if you buy it already made.

Ask a Question