Black-eyed Susans

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Someone inquired, "How far do you trim the Black-eyed Susans when it is done flowering?"
In late winter trim all of the stems of the plant down to the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
And here I was thinking the black-eyed susan was simply readily reseeding each year. I was trying to do a mixed bed of white daisies, purple coneflower and black-eyed susans but the daisies out-competed and took over the bed in about 5 years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Western Coneflower (Rudbeckia occidentalis) is a perennial species native to montane habitats in the western United States.
Unlike most Black-eyed Susans (Rudbeckia spp.), this species lacks ray flowers, producing only a dark brown 'cone' of disk flowers, basically, black eyes without a face.
Perhaps, such flower heads seem austere to some, Rudbeckia occidentalis can be a striking garden ornamental, as is often the case with 'black flowered' plants. There is even a cultivated seed strain known as Rudbeckia occidentalis 'Green Wizard'
rudbeckia-occidentalis-green-wizard.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
For first year Black-eyed Susan blooms start them indoors 8 weeks before the last frost date.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I took some transplants from my mom. They just started to look good then then the deer/rabbits gave them a good pruning!!!

Ask a Question