Birds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I had heard there was a couple of these nearby, funally saw and was able to get a pic (though wasn't a clear day at all)

Attachments

• eagle1.jpg
    eagle1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 334
  • eagle2.jpg
    eagle2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 294
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you feed them? I always leave bread in my parents' garden, because birds love eating it

No I don't feed the birds Claudine, with very few predators on the island we have quite a number of rats and putting out food attracts them to the garden.

Your birds are just beautiful and adorable! Love the Male Chaffinch, and the Gold Finch is totally different from the one we have here

Thank you IcyBC, the finches tend to be the most colourful birds we have in Britain, not just on the island.

The close up shows that they are comfortable with the photographer.

The Chaffinch was a close -up, being very tame he was stealing food from my lunch plate. :) The other photo's were taken with a zoom lens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I had to check Everbrown, but that is a Bald Eagle I believe, a fantastic bird! (y)

Correct, They are making a very good recovery since DDT was banned and showing up in more places.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Awww, it's such a cute little thing! I've never seen a bird like this in person. How big it is? My dog always tries to catch birds too;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a question/theory on a curious observation in my yard. Various birds come to my bird feeders, except of course the non-seed-eating birds. However, there is one species of seed eaters that I never see at my bird feeder, rather they prefer to eat the seeds directly off the plants, both cultivated and wild plants. It's the House Finch.

I have noticed that they seem to eat the seeds that are not totally mature, rather still a little green, so I'm guessing/theorizing that House Finches like non-mature seeds. Anyone know if this is true?

Here's some pics I took the other day of them eating seeds from my Florida Broadleaf Mustard plants.

DSCN2123.JPG
RSCN2130.JPG
RSCN2131.JPG
RSCN2132.JPG

Ask a Question