Are eucalyptus gunnii trees good or bad for attracting songbirds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pair of eucalyptus gunnii trees in large containers they grew all through winter and are looking great so I was thinking of moving them up front and center beside my wildlife attracting plants pyracanthas, virburnum and dogwood, would that be beneficial to songbirds or would the fragrance be unpleasant for them / drive away insects and in turn be less food for the birds?

If it would be neglible in any way then I'll just keep them where there are at the far side of the yard, thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They certainly attract wildlife in their natural environment by way of Koala Bears who munch on the foliage!

The scent is only released in great quantities when the leaves are crushed, so I don't think this would be a deterrent. We have one which is planted and is 'stooled' every spring; this keeps it manageable as they can grow tall very quickly, and also to provide lovely fresh and beautifully coloured new growth which ends up in vases as part of indoor flower decorations.

Martin.

Ask a Question