One of My Local Hummingbirds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
We have some Hummingbirds that like to hang around the house, chase each other around and do like Hummingbirds do. One of our feeders is right outside my study window, only 3’ (1m) from me to them so I often see and watch them from inside. Yesterday I decided to go out and take a few pictures. They are wonderful, photogenic little creatures, sometimes fierce, but generally quizzical and playful.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Odd thing this year, have not seen a one. Then again also the big red flowers they visit did not bloom. Something else odd about this year,....not complaining mind you,....but have not seen any big red wasps. Which normally are trying to make nests all over the place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm in the middle of green lawns everywhere, so never seen a hummingbird until last year one started visiting my yard. And he is back this year, I see him virtually every day, but still unable to get a pic.

I plan on going crazy on planting more plants next year that attract hummingbirds. I don't like using the hummingbird feeders because they're too much maintenance, i.e. must be cleaned and such or else the grow things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm in the middle of green lawns everywhere, so never seen a hummingbird until last year one started visiting my yard. And he is back this year, I see him virtually every day, but still unable to get a pic.

I plan on going crazy on planting more plants next year that attract hummingbirds. I don't like using the hummingbird feeders because they're too much maintenance, i.e. must be cleaned and such or else the grow things.
I agree. Were it not for Becxy I would do the same. But she defeats my logic in wifely ways.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
this summer, have at least 2 pairs around. I see sometime 3 in flight together hovering over my honeysuckle vine, they love. right now, August 26th, they are in love with the yellow wax bell flowers also. Been changing the sugar water every 4 days to ensure freshness. trying my hand with camera for shots. the other day sitting on the deck, one hovered a foot from me. such a delight they are.
IMG_4861 (2).JPG

Ask a Question