Do you sell at your local farmer's market?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
What kind of challenges and successes have you had selling at your local farmer's market?

Our farmer's market is very small and the community is not huge on eating healthy. My sister's and I went to our local farmer's market to educate people on organic living and sell the extra produce left from our CSA program. Our biggest challenge was the amount of people visiting. The customers we did have were very loyal and we loved seeing them each week but ultimately the few people that did come didn't make it worth our time and effort. We tried it for several years and this year decided not to set up. Sometimes I think it was a mistake because we lost our frequent visitors and the other part of me is relieved to have the extra time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
There is a Sunday market here where we buy fresh farm produce. About half of the sellers there are families. It's nice to see children helping their parents in their business. And most of the sellers are owners of farms themselves so they can assure us of the freshness of what they are selling. But for the other days (Monday to Saturday when the farmer's market venue is closed) they sell their produce to traders who buy by bulk and bring the goods to the grocery and supermarkets. We often buy vegetables and fruits in that Sunday market.

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I don't sell at local farmers market but I did buy back home. The market days were once in four days and oh did I love the produce. Everything was always fresh and cheap and I loved being a part of it.

I'm sorry yours did not go well but I wish you had continued to make it a tradition for the community; things could have turned out well eventually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Never sold but do go. And I get my eggs from a local guy who has about 20 happy free range chickens and for several years got my chicken and beef from a farm that was all free range.

Really I think it's a shame that most people go for convenience and cost when shopping. I don't know how it works in other states but here people with Bridge cards (aka food stamps) get double the dollars for buying fresh veggies and shopping at farmers markets, in an attempt to get people to eat healthier and support local businesses. I'm not sure how many people on assistance take advantage of that, though. None that I know. :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The farmer's market closest to us is about 25 miles away. Set-up charge is $50, and it is part farmer's market and part crafts and food trucks. Not the sort of market I want to take part in.
Since we are on a farm, surrounded by farms and ranches, there isn't much demand for a farmer's market. Those who do garden do so on a grand scale (120 tomato plants!) and give away the excess. There is a whole chain of swapping going on (our specialty is homemade bread, herbs, and fresh eggs) and everyone comes out happy.
I guess we have more of a farmer's exchange!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
wish we had a local one. one is about 20 min drive from me, in the town called Paradise, it was decent. then there is one in Lancaster, went couple years ago disappointed.
Only on certain days in another town, one is open, very small.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
I've never considering the idea of becoming a farm seller, however, I have a couple of uncles that do it whenever they have some vegetables and fruits to sell. They really cannot make a living from selling those, but that helps them out a little bit. It definitely is not a good way to make good mney, but it really leaves a little profit for simple stuff.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
I've never sold anything at my local market but I know of people who have. I think it's a very interesting thing to do if you want to make a little extra income. Of course it's not like a job right at the beginning but more like a hobby, in time you can of course make it a business.

Ask a Question