Rhubarb Crown - trusted seed catalog or local Agway?

RoK

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 6A
Country
United States
I was going to order rhubarb crowns from one of my trusted seed catalogs, but then I noticed a wide selection at the local Agway (and for much less money!). Since rhubarb is a perennial, I want to make sure I buy a good variety from a dependable source, but I can't help but think that the ones at Agway would be just fine. Anyone have thoughts about this? I have never grown rhubarb before, and will probably only plant one plant. I don't need that much rhubarb, it's just the novelty I like for the occasional strawberry-rhubarb crisp.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Any good looking plant will suffice. It usually grows with little care. Don't pull any stalks the first year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I was going to order rhubarb crowns from one of my trusted seed catalogs, but then I noticed a wide selection at the local Agway (and for much less money!). Since rhubarb is a perennial, I want to make sure I buy a good variety from a dependable source, but I can't help but think that the ones at Agway would be just fine. Anyone have thoughts about this? I have never grown rhubarb before, and will probably only plant one plant. I don't need that much rhubarb, it's just the novelty I like for the occasional strawberry-rhubarb crisp.

Thanks in advance!
In the UK we use rhubarb only, use wheat flour, and call it, "Rhubarb Crumble."

Ask a Question