Moving Rhubarb Plants

Reaction score
I live in Northwest Ohio and would like to know if I could move Rhubarb Plants?
What I want to do is amend my soil with leaf compost since my soil is clay and I would also put Black Kow manure in it also.
I know it is June.
Let me know if it would be OK.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I moved three plants. The growth was retarded for about two to three years, but the improvement was worth the wait. Do a through job of amending the soil. No half measures. doubt leaf residue is sufficient.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Leaf compost and cattle manure are excellent amendments, but the best time to move rhubarb is October to December (Northern Hemisphere).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I moved mine last summer,I use lots of composted cow manure. the leaves died back but with in a month the started to grow back. with the weather being so damp and cool so far the spring I would say go for it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've moved mine before but usually I do it i the Fall. It shouldn't make much of a difference if you do it soon though. The weather has been pretty damp and cool as of late, at least here in East Coast Canada. Definitely add the manure, I wouldn't do just the leaf compost. Otherwise it should be just fine after you've moved it and amended the soil. I did it to mine a couple of years ago and the rhubarb that grew this year was amazing, very abundant.

Ask a Question