Rhubarbs doing well

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, this is a beautiful Rhubarb, Zigs!:D It's so enormous. I used to grow Rhubarb some time ago too but it was never this big.
Rhubarb pudding sounds delicious:)

zigs

Absent Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think it likes the soil as it contains a lot of old lime mortar from the building works, this will have raised the PH quite a bit.

I also top dress it with ash from the woodburner.

Only planted it 3 years ago.

zigs

Absent Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Something ate half the Sorrel plant next to it, probably a Deer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's strange that the deer wasn't interested in this gorgeous Rhubarb...but, to be honest, I know nothing about deer's preferences:p . I saw a few of these cute animals a few days ago though - I had no idea they live so close to my home.

zigs

Absent Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It was deer alright, came back with all his mates last night, broke the fence, knocked the bean poles over, ate the rest of the Sorrel, had a go at the Rhubarb and ate all the Chives.

Seed bed is covered in hoof marks. They did leave some poo though.

Ad

Advertisements

zigs

Absent Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I was wrong, not deer at all, look who I found in the garden at 6am this morning

Its the fat ram from the local farm, only took a pic of him yesterday,

The string fence I put up yesterday kept him off the veg plot:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wowzers that rhubarb looks great! :D

Ian's family have grown rhubarb for years and we're hoping to clear a space in our back garden so that next year we can join in the fun!

Sorry to hear about the damage from deer, how about a nice bit of venison pie to go with your rhubarb crumble?!

zigs

Absent Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cheers Becky,

Think you missed the last post though:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, how cute, a sheep visited your garden!:D I have no idea what would I do if I found one in mine...for sure I'd be very excited, I've never seen any sheep from close by.

Ad

Advertisements

zigs

Absent Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
He brought his mate too, the one with the black face in the second pic.

You'd like it round here then Claudine, You can creep up behind the lambs & tickle their ears, till they realise you're not their Mum:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's very likely that I'd be too scared of the sheep to creep up behind it, lol:p . But I find them really cute.
My dog would probably get insane if he saw sheep in our garden - he is a little, aggressive Yorkie who hates other animals:p

zigs

Absent Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sheep only get scary when they are protecting their lambs, seen one head butt a dog who had cornered its lamb once.

Reaction score
They look nice and healthy. I love rhubarb, my uncle used to grow it all the time but strangely enough he told us he didn't like it, and only grew it for us. It goes great with something sweet!

zigs

Absent Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm the only one that eats it here now, going to make a Rhubarb Crumble at the weekend, see if I can tempt my Daughter with that:D

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I'm the only one that eats it here now, going to make a Rhubarb Crumble at the weekend, see if I can tempt my Daughter with that:D
That is a really nice dessert, I have to have it with custard or cream though otherwise it's just not half as nice!

zigs

Absent Moderator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Tescos do packets of custard powder for 6p:)

Reaction score
Nice rhubarb and well fed sheep! We use to have a patch of rhubarb but someone dug it up. My daughter and I are the only ones who like it. I hope you enjoyed it as much as those sheep! Why are the sheep running loose and not in an enclosure?

Our problem here is deer and rabbits eating our vegetables and apples. We've tried different tricks and nothing works. We heard of someone putting up a fence but the deer just jumped it.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
The rhubarb looks awesome ! It does not do well down here in the South, but I keep trying, and maybe one of these times, it will get started well enough to keep growing. I have this years trial growing in a pot, and on the house . On nice days, when it is not too hot, I set the pot out on the back porch, and when the weather is in the 90s, then I am keeping it in the house.
My plan is to do this during the summer heat, and then plant it outside this fall once it cools down enough, and hopefully, then it will get started enough to keep growing next year.

Ask a Question