Best natural fertilizer for organic gardens - apparently !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I am glad you mentioned not using urine if the person "donating" it is on medication.
I remember this thread and i also remember wondering about all the people who take various medications, but i don't remember any one mentioning this so i must have missed the post. fj08 can you point me to where this was previously discussed? As far as i am aware you are the first to bring it up and i thought it was curious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I remember this thread and i also remember wondering about all the people who take various medications, but i don't remember any one mentioning this so i must have missed the post. fj08 can you point me to where this was previously discussed? As far as i am aware you are the first to bring it up and i thought it was curious.

From the op's original post.

"They do however, give a tip on collecting this liquid gold, and that is, that anyone taking prescription or illicit drugs, should for obvious reasons, not be considered as a donor."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you @LIcenter :) I did go back through some posts looking for references but evidently didn't make it quite to the top, where i see that i did read gata montes' opening post and even liked it. I guess i was distracted by the lively conversation that followed. At any rate i am happy to see it repeated here...what do they say? "it bears repeating".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you @LIcenter :) I did go back through some posts looking for references but evidently didn't make it quite to the top, where i see that i did read gata montes' opening post and even liked it. I guess i was distracted by the lively conversation that followed. At any rate i am happy to see it repeated here...what do they say? "it bears repeating".

Chuckle !

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
gata montes, doesn't your friend wash the herbs and veggies before eating them? o_O

I actually spent a good bit of time studying this via various YouTube videos, and it is an excellent fertilizer, but also helps the environment. If urine were removed from the municipal waste water, it would remove 75% of the nitrogen pollution problem. Keep in mind that waste water is 99% tap water, and only 1% human waste! And that the average toilet uses 5 gallons to flush every time you pee!

Beverly, there's just too much splashing if you squat over a bucket! Not only that, but it takes too much time to fill, and old pee smells. If you try this, use a small plastic jar. I use a 10 oz Folger's coffee can, but any plastic jar you would normally throw away could be used. I then use an old funnel, and pour it into a half gallon milk jug, so I can put a lid on it. From there it goes straight to the compost pile. You can use it to water plants, but the videos I watched varied too greatly for me to be comfortable with it. One video said to dilute it by 50% with water, another said 20% and yet a third stated you don't have to dilute it at all. Someday I might experiment a bit with that, but for now I'm happy saving water, money, and the environment!

I actually was researching straw bale gardening, and they tell you to sprinkle nitrogen on the bale and water it well for a couple weeks. More water, more nitrogen, more water, etc. I started researching free sources of nitrogen, because I didn't want to buy nitrogen crystals to use on the bale, which led me to "pee-cycling" videos. Nitrogen in liquid form for free? Oh, yes!! I drink a pot of coffee a day, probably pee 20 times a day, and that saves me (and the environment,) about 100 gallons of water a day?? I cut my water bill by more than half in a month!!

Oh! And, in March, when the average nighttime temps are below freezing in Ohio, my straw bale reached an internal temperature of over 150 degrees F, so it was definitely cooking in there! ;)

This video is 20 minutes long:

This one is about an hour:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Human urine is probably the best organic fertilizer available, the main reasons are: You can get it easily, price, nutrients, volume.

And some experiments show it is not useless at all:
Reuse_of_urine_demonstration_-_fertilised_and_not_fertilised_basil_experiment_part_I_(3530514905).jpg
nALbmw3.jpg

3616723081_742f3d1750.jpg

It may not solve all your problems, but it can not be ignored.

Yeah with these pictures you can't deny that it works. Great pics by the way!

Ask a Question