Best natural fertilizer for organic gardens - apparently !

Reaction score
A recent conversation with a friend, has lead me to research this subject more closely, after hearing that she was now declining any offers of fresh herbs or vegetables from her neighbor, because she didn't like his fertilization methods.
Before going any further, I will just say that, this friend has had a very plentiful supply of organically grown herbs and vegetables over the past four years, and is, as far as I can see, none the worse for it.

My research has revealed that for centuries, human urine has, apparently been regarded as one of the best liquid fertilizers and compost accelerators around and is widely used in the organic gardening community, mainly because, it is nitrogen rich, has moderate levels of phosphorus, is low in potassium, sterile and of course free.
They do however, give a tip on collecting this liquid gold, and that is, that anyone taking prescription or illicit drugs, should for obvious reasons, not be considered as a donor.
With this I also read, that when combined with the minerals contained in wood ash (which I think has been mentioned on this forum before) it produces an excellent all round, well balanced fertilizer that is suitable for all your garden plants.

I have a very vivid and active imagination and couldn't possibly put into words, the pictures that my mind is currently conjuring up, on how these methods are applied, and whether or not it has now become compulsory for organic growers to have all their employees tested for drugs!!

What positive or negative thoughts do you have, on this natural way of fertilizing your plants.?

Reaction score
LOL - I think I'm conjuring up the same images! :eek:
I have heard this as well, and I don't really have any objection to it, in theory. But I just can't imagine actually using this method myself, for, oh, so many reasons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Yes, i agree TCPL, I have visions of pee parties for guys with moderate amounts of beer (it can only benefit) man bonding around a compost pile and all adding donations to the health of the compost and soil.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
The best natural fertilizer is organic fertilizer that can be prepared easily. You can prepare organic fertilizer on compost bins or compost pit.
One of the easiest ways to prepare compost fertilizer is by utilizing kitchen waste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I've heard about this and my brother even volunteered on doing it on my plants (he probably heard it too that pee is good for plants) :eek: I can only imagine what @Beverly just said :ROFLMAO:

Based on what I just read, it contains most nutrients the plant needs and what's best, it's free :D but still, I'm having second thoughts on using this one as a natural fertilizer especially for my potted plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
We have little blue jelly fish here in the ocean (seasonally, not all the time) that can sting like the dickens and the only quick remedy for those stings is to have someone pee on it. If you are there and you have something in your bladder, you are duty bound to pee on the sufferer's wound.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Oh my! hahaha I can only imagine the faces of both parties, unless they're used to it already :eek:

How about rice water as natural fertilizer? Here in the Philippines, rice is usually served everyday so it's a good way to recycle the water where the plants may benefit. I was advised by the gardener, too to use rice water to my lime tree (I'm having trouble with it, will post it in separate thread as soon as I get a pic). But I haven't done it religiously due to work schedule. Thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This may sound funny but bear with this. My father-in-law used to urinate on the lemon tree. When my sister-in-law saw him, he was reprimanded. But my father-in-law reasoned that the urine is a good fertilizer because the lemon tree had been giving them a lot of fruits. Not to be defeated in argument, my sister-in-law agreed but she disliked the odor. Argument closed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We have little blue jelly fish here in the ocean (seasonally, not all the time) that can sting like the dickens and the only quick remedy for those stings is to have someone pee on it. If you are there and you have something in your bladder, you are duty bound to pee on the sufferer's wound.
As long as you don't also have to suck out the venom...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
What positive or negative thoughts do you have, on this natural way of fertilizing your plants.?
Human urine is probably the best organic fertilizer available, the main reasons are: You can get it easily, price, nutrients, volume.

And some experiments show it is not useless at all:
Reuse_of_urine_demonstration_-_fertilised_and_not_fertilised_basil_experiment_part_I_(3530514905).jpg
nALbmw3.jpg

3616723081_742f3d1750.jpg

It may not solve all your problems, but it can not be ignored.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Wow, that's quite a difference @splinx. Impressive results! Now if i could only figure out a way...a bucket, i guess, Still, i guess it will take me a little time to warm up to the process.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Many farmers are already practicing the urine fertilizer,and it really helps a lot.But if you want to maximize the effect,just be sure to check or consider the ph level of the soil where it is planted.

Fish amino acid is much better I think instead of urine,as far as the nutrients is concern.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Human urine is probably the best organic fertilizer available, the main reasons are: You can get it easily, price, nutrients, volume.

And some experiments show it is not useless at all:
Reuse_of_urine_demonstration_-_fertilised_and_not_fertilised_basil_experiment_part_I_(3530514905).jpg
nALbmw3.jpg

3616723081_742f3d1750.jpg

It may not solve all your problems, but it can not be ignored.

Wow great results, though I'm a bit apprehensive about using this on my potted herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I don't use it directly on the plants but have been peeing on my compost heaps (whenever I'm working in the garden and need to pee) for the last 44 years. Those forum members that know my garden know that the plants certainly flourish (y)

I've never done any comparison tests but this method is an old and well used method.

I also use the ash from our bonfires to sprinkle over the flower and vegetable beds. Some plants are not keen on potash so you need to be a little bit careful. Green leafy vegetables love it. There are a few small areas of the garden that I have dug in, and spread, ash that the pheasants and cats absolutely love for their dust baths.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did not realize that urine was so widely used. I am glad you mentioned not using urine if the person "donating" it is on medication. Since I am on medication, that means I can not "donate" to my garden. Good to know. Thanks for the information.

Ask a Question