Best mix for indoor tomato garden?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
And, please keep us up to date on the grow as it proceeds. I would love to grow tomatoes indoors during the winter rather than buying those ones from the super market that taste like cardboard.

Reaction score
Country
United States
And, please keep us up to date on the grow as it proceeds. I would love to grow tomatoes indoors during the winter rather than buying those ones from the super market that taste like cardboard.
Absolutely. You all can expect a grow journal for this.

@Chuck Is this https://thrivemarket.com/bobs-red-m...29e4m5JUf4E5ijra63qpeKceHOabJ-VhoC0LkQAvD_BwE acceptable or do I specifically need 'Horticultural Cornmeal'? It seems like this would be OK and its cheaper than if I were to buy a giant bag of Horticultural Cornmeal (only big bags are available it seems). I just want to make sure before purchasing it. Last thing I'm waiting on is the 5 gallon Smart Pots and this cornmeal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Absolutely. You all can expect a grow journal for this.

@Chuck Is this https://thrivemarket.com/bobs-red-m...29e4m5JUf4E5ijra63qpeKceHOabJ-VhoC0LkQAvD_BwE acceptable or do I specifically need 'Horticultural Cornmeal'? It seems like this would be OK and its cheaper than if I were to buy a giant bag of Horticultural Cornmeal (only big bags are available it seems). I just want to make sure before purchasing it. Last thing I'm waiting on is the 5 gallon Smart Pots and this cornmeal.
That is exactly what you want. And save enough to make a batch of homemade cornbread.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Chuck
@MoonShadows

So the pots and cornmeal are scheduled to arrive on Thursday. Those are the last items I need to get started! I'm excited!

Quick question about germination. Do you just place the seeds horizontally in the soaked potting mix? Or do they need to be in a specific upright position? I know some seeds fare better when placed in a specific position when germinating. If they need to be placed into the soil in an upright position, is there a way to tell which side of the seed you want facing upwards?

I'm sort of an OCD perfectionist, so I like to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I do it. Forgive me for that, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck
@MoonShadows

So the pots and cornmeal are scheduled to arrive on Thursday. Those are the last items I need to get started! I'm excited!

Quick question about germination. Do you just place the seeds horizontally in the soaked potting mix? Or do they need to be in a specific upright position? I know some seeds fare better when placed in a specific position when germinating. If they need to be placed into the soil in an upright position, is there a way to tell which side of the seed you want facing upwards?

I'm sort of an OCD perfectionist, so I like to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing before I do it. Forgive me for that, lol.
It doesn't matter a whit what position they are in. The most important thing is for them to not be buried too deeply. 1/8th to 1/4 inch is the correct depth. Just drop them onto the surface of wet soil and then cover with a sprinkling of more of the same and gently settle the potting mix with a spray of water before covering with saran wrap.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It doesn't matter a whit what position they are in. The most important thing is for them to not be buried too deeply. 1/8th to 1/4 inch is the correct depth. Just drop them onto the surface of wet soil and then cover with a sprinkling of more of the same and gently settle the potting mix with a spray of water before covering with saran wrap.
Its funny, I thought this forum was going to be completely dead when I first registered, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you're sharing on this topic (even though you probably think its nothing, its important to me).

I'm actually going to be doing multiple tomato grows under various lighting systems which I've decided I will document here for the business I'm building (designing COB LED light arrays). So the first grow will be under the 432 Watt 8-Bulb T5 Light, then the second will be two grows running concurrent, each in 4'x8' grow tents. One being a roughly 750-800 Watt (+/-) (depends on the final design outcome) COB LED full-cycle fixture dimmed 30% during veg and driven @ full power once I notice pre-flowering traits on the tomatoes (which I will learn to recognize during my initial grow with the T5 light). The other tent will veg with Hortilux's 600w 'Super Blue' MH bulb and flower with Solis Tek's 1000W SE HPS.

You guys can expect some nice grow journals showcasing tomato grows under what's considered to be the most optimal artificial lighting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Its funny, I thought this forum was going to be completely dead when I first registered, but I'm pleasantly surprised. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge you're sharing on this topic (even though you probably think its nothing, its important to me).

I'm actually going to be doing multiple tomato grows under various lighting systems which I've decided I will document here for the business I'm building (designing COB LED light arrays). So the first grow will be under the 432 Watt 8-Bulb T5 Light, then the second will be two grows running concurrent, each in 4'x8' grow tents. One being a roughly 750-800 Watt (+/-) (depends on the final design outcome) COB LED full-cycle fixture dimmed 30% during veg and driven @ full power once I notice pre-flowering traits on the tomatoes (which I will learn to recognize during my initial grow with the T5 light). The other tent will veg with Hortilux's 600w 'Super Blue' MH bulb and flower with Solis Tek's 1000W SE HPS.

You guys can expect some nice grow journals showcasing tomato grows under what's considered to be the most optimal artificial lighting.

This is a very good forum with a lot of friendly and knowledgeable folks! We look forward to your journals and insights.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I may have made a critical error. I started the seeds at 9:00AM on the 6th. I was really busy this week and forgot to check on them. I staked them up the best I could and turned the lights on. They don't look dead so maybe they will pull through. I could always just start over of-course. What you guys think? Whoops.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 240
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 234
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 223
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I may have made a critical error. I started the seeds at 9:00AM on the 6th. I was really busy this week and forgot to check on them. I staked them up the best I could and turned the lights on. They don't look dead so maybe they will pull through. I could always just start over of-course. What you guys think? Whoops.
They are so leggy that they will never grow out of it. Your lighting for these seedlings isn't even close to being enough. So they sprouted in 6 days. Your temperatures are good. 6 day old seedlings should be straight and about 2 - 2 1/2 inches tall and the seed leaves fully opened, horizontal and flat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are so leggy that they will never grow out of it. Your lighting for these seedlings isn't even close to being enough. So they sprouted in 6 days. Your temperatures are good. 6 day old seedlings should be straight and about 2 - 2 1/2 inches tall and the seed leaves fully opened, horizontal and flat.
They never had any light at all. For some reason I thought I was supposed to start them in the dark. This time I will do the same thing, but actually turn the light on and leave it at an appropriate distance. Lessons learned. The seed pack I got came with 200 seeds and I'm almost positive I've got enough potting soil to do another 4 containers. This T5 light will be plenty of light for the tomatoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They never had any light at all. For some reason I thought I was supposed to start them in the dark. This time I will do the same thing, but actually turn the light on and leave it at an appropriate distance. Lessons learned. The seed pack I got came with 200 seeds and I'm almost positive I've got enough potting soil to do another 4 containers. This T5 light will be plenty of light for the tomatoes.
You can plant the seeds in the dark and keep it dark UNTIL THEY GERMINATE at which time they must have plenty of light. If it is really cold outside I plant my seeds and stick them in my cooking oven and that is really dark.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can plant the seeds in the dark and keep it dark UNTIL THEY GERMINATE at which time they must have plenty of light. If it is really cold outside I plant my seeds and stick them in my cooking oven and that is really dark.
Alright, thanks again Chuck. Round 2 will not disappoint lol.

Ask a Question