Balcony garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's simply gorgeous:D . It must be very relaxing to work in a place like this. And healthy - I've heard that if you have to sit in front of the computer for a longer period of time, you should look at plants from time to time to let your eyes rest a little.

Reaction score
Wow, those are amazing!! What a blessing it would be to work in an office building with gardens like that!! I bet it really changes the feel of the workspace and increases people ability to work and think well!

Reaction score
Maddie and Claudine, it's not the balcony, but as soon as I saw this I thought of you! I can't insert the image so you'll have to follow the link. This takes indoor growing way beyond anything we have discussed so far!

http://sore-thumbelina.tumblr.com/image/441950289

No, not exactly my cup of tea. I mean those cans distract from the beauty of the concept. If recycled material is used, it should be modified to fit in with the decor, so to say.

Reaction score
Here are some roses from my garden ..
My peach rose.jpg
rose pink.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love it too.. we should be living in the garden instead..lol :) I don't mind it though.. my family may object to it.. :D

Wouldn't that be lovely, Maddie? I imagine it would be a very serene home to be completely surrounded by a living garden house 24/7. It seems to me that would be very good for your health is long as you could avoid annoying insect pests. It would be difficult though, because you would need pollinators, so you'd have to be able to put up with bees, butterflies, and dragonflies if you wanted fruits and flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, Maddie, I adore your roses, they're so beautiful!!!:D
Today my boyfriend bought me a new miniature rose, I'm surrounded with roses and I love it:D

Reaction score
Wouldn't that be lovely, Maddie? I imagine it would be a very serene home to be completely surrounded by a living garden house 24/7. It seems to me that would be very good for your health is long as you could avoid annoying insect pests. It would be difficult though, because you would need pollinators, so you'd have to be able to put up with bees, butterflies, and dragonflies if you wanted fruits and flowers.
It would indeed be great for my health .. i don't mind the bees, butterflies and dragonflies .. I have them flying into my home constantly. :) But I am not sure my husband would be happy with the arrangement.. as it is he complains that I am either caught up with my cyber world or my garden.. :)

@ Claudine, Thanks.. they are so beautiful aren't they? I am so happy you have more roses now.. what color are you new roses?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's red. My love said it's a perfect color for Valentines day and I agree:D . I already have two miniature roses which have red flowers but every one is very special and unique for me. Also, the shades are slightly different:)

Reaction score
It's red. My love said it's a perfect color for Valentines day and I agree:D . I already have two miniature roses which have red flowers but every one is very special and unique for me. Also, the shades are slightly different:)
Little red roses are pretty indeed.. I have to get one for myself... I love deep deep reds as the one on my profile :) and that is what my husband gave me 24 red roses for Valentines day :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
So many roses, it's such a lovely gift!:D I'm sure it made you very happy. Getting flowers from our loved ones is wonderful, isn't it? Flowers make a perfect Valentines gift:D

Reaction score
You have certainly squeezed a lot of plants into a very small space. So if there any space left for you to walk or has your garden completely taken over your balcony?

I thought the same thing. I think the OP's balcony garden is absolutely gorgeous, but the weather in Florida where I live is so nice (most of the time) that I would have to leave at least enough room for 2 chairs so my daughter and I could sit outside.

I found this photo on Pinterest and I would want to do something like this ,which is balanced between plants and seating.

702f2f858930f95b2a9ba645a6a34540.jpg

I love OP's balcony garden, it's gorgeous, but I feel like I would want to leave just enough room to sit outside and set my drink down, I wouldn't want the whole balcony to be plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Becky, Poinsettias don't need much effort. I just stick some stems ( from those plants you see in the pictures) into little containers with soil and wormy compost and let them grow.. I have about ten little pots now on my window sill... these are decorated with silver wrap and ribbons and given to my friends at Christmas.. They make the easiest and most colorful Christmas gifts... a few years ago when I had more space.. i would sell these plants.. they are quite expensive here.. so I made quite a bit of money at Christmas time... :)

Looking back at the start of this thread and seeing your pix, I was going to ask you about your poinsettias as well. Do you have to cover them or move them to a cooler location to get them to bloom? I am seeing new leaves on all of mine, including the ones I rescued from the side of the road, which is encouraging.

The one I saved from the office Xmas before last survived the first year, but the leaves are really small. I've been giving it coffee grinds and coffee water and I know I need to transplant it.

Reaction score
Looking back at the start of this thread and seeing your pix, I was going to ask you about your poinsettias as well. Do you have to cover them or move them to a cooler location to get them to bloom? I am seeing new leaves on all of mine, including the ones I rescued from the side of the road, which is encouraging.

The one I saved from the office Xmas before last survived the first year, but the leaves are really small. I've been giving it coffee grinds and coffee water and I know I need to transplant it.
They bloom naturally in winter.. but if you want to force bloom it then you need to leave it in a cool dark place exposing it toi just four or five hours of sun each day.
Chanell, a small tip her.. if you give your poinsettias coffee ground I notice that the color becomes dull during the blooming period. I do not know if there is any science to support my observation , but this is what I have noticed over the years,
This plant grows naturally in sunny location, especially in the wild forested regions of the tropics. They do excellently here. You may need to give them some leaf mold/ or compost to have healthier and bigger leaves.
I bigger container would also do the plant some good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Chanell, a small tip her.. if you give your poinsettias coffee ground I notice that the color becomes dull during the blooming period... You may need to give them some leaf mold/ or compost to have healthier and bigger leaves.
I bigger container would also do the plant some good.

I need to start collecting leaves and making leaf mold. I have been procrastinating about this for several weeks now. Also, I read that putting pine needles in the bottom of the new pot when transplanting poinsettia was a good idea. Just need to get larger containers for all of them.

Reaction score
Wow, Mddie! You have so many plants in such a small place! :) It looks nice! I still have a large collection of plants in a very small place (some with my mom). I'm hoping in my new house I'll have more space, because my plants are producing more and more cuttings! I feel bad throwing away cuttings!

Ask a Question