Balcony Gardening

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I like to research my posts before I write them. I have to really, living on the fourth floor does not a garden allow, as they say. Although half the balcony is a greenhouse, of course. I started it with dreams of becoming self-sufficient, sadly that won’t happen with just one greenhouse and a few herb pots dotted about the house!

In fact, my research assures me, to be totally self-sufficient, in vegetables at least, I need an acre of land to support five people. Add meat to the picture and you are looking at around 5 acres to sustain just one beef cow! Not getting that on my balcony!

So, where am I heading with this? Expectations, that’s where. I put my greenhouse in to keep me stocked in the basics, potatoes, carrots, onions and the like. I learned very quickly that:
  1. Despite a childhood of enforced gardening, I am not a natural gardener
  2. It takes time to grow food
  3. Sometimes it’s cheaper to go to the supermarket
So why bother? Well, put simply, because I can and, when my book (Fourth Floor Vegetables) makes me a literary superstar it will all be worth it! Delusions again, sorry. So, expectations…

When, like me, your greenhouse is a lifestyle choice rather than an agricultural enterprise, then you need to look at what you can grow and juxtapose this against what you would like to grow. For me, it comes down to exotics, things that you can't buy in a supermarket or are too expensive.

My wife likes flowers, and growing your own flowers is challenging, fun and definitely cheaper than buying them. So, I currently have a greenhouse full of flowers. funnily enough, it looks quite good, certainly too good to bring into the house - although don't tell the wife I said that!

Reaction score
You garden because you 'have to' . It isn't really optional. You have found a way. Even when it doesn't work you will just throw the dead bits in the compost & try something else. All power to your trowel. I think your story is inspirational.

Reaction score
When, like me, your greenhouse is a lifestyle choice rather than an agricultural enterprise, then you need to look at what you can grow and juxtapose this against what you would like to grow. For me, it comes down to exotics, things that you can't buy in a supermarket or are too expensive.

I agree with you on the exotics. I would love to have a greenhouse. I'm planning to build a covered shelving unit on the deck to overwinter some of my tender perennials, but that is not the same thing. And when I do have a greenhouse, I plan to use it to grow all those lovely things that won't grow outside or in the house. Lemon and lime trees, passion fruit, vanilla, and on and on. Sure, I will use part of it for starting seedlings to plant out, but the majority will be given over to plants that will live there year round.

My wife likes flowers, and growing your own flowers is challenging, fun and definitely cheaper than buying them. So, I currently have a greenhouse full of flowers. funnily enough, it looks quite good, certainly too good to bring into the house - although don't tell the wife I said that!

LOL! I have a hard time cutting any flowers for the house. I love them too much where they grow!

Ask a Question