Advice on balcony gardens

Reaction score
I have always lived in a house with a huge garden - it's just the way my parents have always selected their houses. Sadly, I am planning on moving to a condo soon with my fiance and I have no idea how to even begin the process of planning a balcony garden. The unit we are getting gets great sun, so I'm not concerned about that - but, I've never had to limit my growing or pick specific veggies that will do well in containers. I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with growing veggies in containers and which they would recommend I focus on. Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I've successfully grown tomatoes, beans, peas, radishes, peppers (bell and hot) and lettuce in containers, there might be other that can be grown, but these are what I have grown. With tomatoes pick a container appropriate type and keep in mind that with things like the beans and peas you will only get a 1 to a few plants per average container which means the volume you pick will be modest and if they don't mature at the same time in large enough number it's tough get a lot at one time.

This time of year I would start with tomatoes, peppers and beans. Peas and lettuce as more a winter thing at least were I live.

I'm curious as to what is your watering scheme? Is there a hose bib outside, to you just take a watering can out? I would imagine you would need to cautious as to not over watering if it is on a balcony?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have tons of room but do grow some in containers...just about everything Greenhorn mentioned plus eggplant, okra, greens, carrots, herbs. I've also seen cherry tomatoes grown successfully in hanging containers. Friend of mine did that last year actually, it would maximize space for sure.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Throwback to my first garden ever. Containers galore! I remember the eggplant did really well. You could try just about anything in the containers but do some research to make sure you're putting it in the right size pot. My biggest mistake was planting to many crops in one pot. You will also need to fertilize because the plants may use up all the nutrient provided in the soil. I've seen seeds are meant for containers, eggplants, cucumbers and tomatoes. Good luck and happy gardening!
fullview.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Potatoes are easy to grow in containers. Old tires work great although they don't look great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have just moved to a condo complex as well in December, and I am limited to container gardening. So far the herbs are doing great in pots. My daughter lives in an apartment, so she has her eggplant in pot.

I think you can grow many different vegetables in containers, and I will continue to experience this area too :)

Ask a Question