Balcony gardening....

Reaction score
I currently have a small garden on my balcony. It includes okras, squash, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, mint, egg plant, spinach, and onions. My balcony doesn't get a lot of DIRECT sunlight, but it's exposed to the elements. If I don't get lots of DIRECT sunlight, is that gonna kill my plants? Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated, thanx in advance!

-Omari

Reaction score
If you're trying to grow those types of vegetables you are going to need much more sunlight than what you're getting. A vegetable garden requires a good amount of direct sunlight, or a strong florescent light on it several hours per day. Without sunlight those veggies will more than likely die a slow death, or they simply will not grow.

Reaction score
You could always use some grow light to help your plants.. I have some plants in front of my house..We do not get much light there but I have a couple of grow light there and the plants have adjusted well to the light.
I don't know how okra and eggplant remain pest free in an environment like that.. are you sure they have no mealy bugs on them.. These pests multiply quickly where there is inadequate light.

Reaction score
awesome tips! Thank you so much! I just moved my pots to an area with more light. I could definitely see the difference between the plants that were getting direct sunlight, and the ones that weren't. Mother nature is incredible. Watching these plants grow has been a great experience.

Reaction score
awesome tips! Thank you so much! I just moved my pots to an area with more light. I could definitely see the difference between the plants that were getting direct sunlight, and the ones that weren't. Mother nature is incredible. Watching these plants grow has been a great experience.

That's a good way to put it, "watching plants grow is a great experience," because it really is. Take a look at the spike that typically comes with a plant when you purchase it, because that will tell you whether or not the plant does better in low, medium, or high light. There are quite a few house plants that don't do too well in direct sun, even direct sun coming into the house. For example, the Peace Lily doesn't do very well in direct sunlight, it likes filtered, evening sun, at least mine does.

Reaction score
I think it's great that you are making the most of the space that you have. I had to write an article about decorating balconies the other day. Some people had some very clever ideas, but the most beautiful were the ones that included live plants.

Reaction score
If it's a balcony garden that you want, then probably just choose plants that will ornate your balcony. The fruit and vegetable-bearing plants, in my opinion, must be outdoors. These kinds need direct sunlight, or if not, they won't be as healthy as you want these fruits and vegetables to be. Also, I think they are better planted on the ground rather than on pots.

For your balcony, I think it would be nice to see some colors, so you might want to consider putting some flowering plants there.

Reaction score
If your balcony gets direct sunlight you can probably plant vegetables and flowers out there. The key element of course, is the Sun. If it's a shade balcony, that's partially indoors, you're not going to have much luck. I'm not really into veggie gardening but I do agree with "cookieangel" in that fruit and vegetables should be outside. There are some mini-fruit trees that can be grown indoors, but again, you'll need a grow-light, and/or, lots of Sun.

Reaction score
I've managed to squeeze a greenhouse onto my balcony. It's currently full of flowers, but I tend to use it to grow exotics that you can't get so readily in the shops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I've managed to squeeze a greenhouse onto my balcony. It's currently full of flowers, but I tend to use it to grow exotics that you can't get so readily in the shops.

I would love to see a photo of your balcony greenhouse. That is something I have never considered. I do have plants and grow veggies on my balcony but a greenhouse sounds like a cool idea:)

Reaction score

That is pretty cool. Does it take up the whole balcony or do you still have room to sit out there? It sounds like it would take up the whole space. I can't picture a greenhouse on a balcony.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
That is pretty cool. Does it take up the whole balcony or do you still have room to sit out there? It sounds like it would take up the whole space. I can't picture a greenhouse on a balcony.
I was looking online and came across this balcony greenhouse. It would actually work on the balcony I have now because its quite large but unfortunately I am moving to a place with a smaller balcony...I must say this is pretty cool
700_green-greenhouse-2.jpg

Reaction score
I was looking online and came across this balcony greenhouse. It would actually work on the balcony I have now because its quite large but unfortunately I am moving to a place with a smaller balcony...I must say this is pretty cool
700_green-greenhouse-2.jpg

That's a really pretty greenhouse, but that balcony looks huge and expensive. Balconies around here are like half that size. I guess no greenhouse for me.

Reaction score
I'm not too sure, you can make a greenhouse out of pretty much anything. I found this siteon the web, it is all about gardening on a balcony and includes a picture of a basket greenhouse, which is similar to one my mum uses in her garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I'm not too sure, you can make a greenhouse out of pretty much anything. I found this siteon the web, it is all about gardening on a balcony and includes a picture of a basket greenhouse, which is similar to one my mum uses in her garden.
I really like the idea of the basket greenhouse. This would be perfect for smaller balconies. I was also read on a website that some people use small aquariums...I know they come in a variety of sizes and quite inexpensive. Here is a photo of the basket greenhouse for those interested.
Balcony-Gardener-mini-greenhouse.jpg

Ask a Question