Avocado tree dying need help

S

Spencer

So i have an indoor avocado tree that i grew from a seed. I started it about 3 years ago and at that point i had no gardening knowlege. Now that i have started to get into it i realised the plant was salt burned, root bound, has root rot and had neutrient deficiency. I solved the salt burn about a month ago by flushing it. Then i realised it was root bound and had root rot, so i removed it from the pot and cut off the dead roots with clippers then put it back in with some new dirt. I then realised it still wasnt draining hardly at all and realised the soil around the root ball was really heavy. So about 5 days ago i removed it from its small pot (about 1.5 gal and it is about 3 ft tall) and washed all the dirt off the roots and repotted it in a 7 gal air fabric pot, in proper tropical potting soil. I watered it just around the root ball so i didnt over water and now all the leaves are wilting like crazy. They have ripples all along the edges and the tips are turning brown. Im afraid to use transplanting nutrients since the roots are already so damaged any ideas?? If you need more pictures just ask

Attachments

• IMG_7503.JPG
    IMG_7503.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 594
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since you started out completely wrong and by that I mean chemical fertilizers, which are full of mineral salts, you did the correct thing by flushing the plant. But that put the plant into transplant shock. Don't add anything as the roots are somewhat compromised at this point. Give the tree as much morning sunlight as you can and gradually progress into afternoon sun. Keep the plant on the dry side. Do not fertilize yet. When the plant starts to put out leaf buds give it more afternoon sunlight. When those leaves are growing you can then fertilize with an organic fertilizer at 1/2 strength. Do not over water. Water only when the plant tells you it is thirsty and that is when the plant is wilted in the morning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
It sounds like you did pretty much all you can but It's always good to do a complete watering when transplanting, it helps the roots adjust into their new home and settles any unevenness like salts and hot spots. In your case it might be counter productive though. By giving a complete watering and more sun, and then letting it dry, you will force it to start rooting. If you watered it good when you transplanted then you should be good to go. More light and heat from the sun drying out the soil will help speed up the recovery too.

S

Spencer

Since you started out completely wrong and by that I mean chemical fertilizers, which are full of mineral salts, you did the correct thing by flushing the plant. But that put the plant into transplant shock. Don't add anything as the roots are somewhat compromised at this point. Give the tree as much morning sunlight as you can and gradually progress into afternoon sun. Keep the plant on the dry side. Do not fertilize yet. When the plant starts to put out leaf buds give it more afternoon sunlight. When those leaves are growing you can then fertilize with an organic fertilizer at 1/2 strength. Do not over water. Water only when the plant tells you it is thirsty and that is when the plant is wilted in the morning.
It has already put out a bunch of leaf buds but they only partly opened and are now turning brown, so more afternoon?

Reaction score
My concern is that huge container for such a small plant.

When you repot anything ,you go up a pot size ,l just think that is too big,they are slow growers, and when you know it root bound move on to next size.

All that moving about ,flushing etc is bound to have an affect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just leave it alone and see what it does. Too much flushing and moving about will kill it too. Keep us posted as to what happens. There is still time for other actions.

S

Spencer

My concern is that huge container for such a small plant.

When you repot anything ,you go up a pot size ,l just think that is too big,they are slow growers, and when you know it root bound move on to next size.

All that moving about ,flushing etc is bound to have an affect.

The pot is fabric and allows air flow around all sides to help stop overwatering. Also i only water near the roots so it doesnt sit in water and dries out quick. I thought that would be sufficient to make the step to such a large pot

S

Spencer

IMG_7504.JPG
IMG_7505.JPG
Ok so update...its getting worse the leaves are now curling on the edges into a toco shape and the trunk is sorta like wrinckling ( i dont know how to describe it). Please help i dont wanna lose this plant ive had it for over 3 years

Reaction score
I don't know what you expect people to say to help.

I would not have done any of the things you did,l would have just potted it up to next size.

Not much comfort, but just leave it,has two chances.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your last pics show what might be a fungal infection. Let the plant dry out. Buy a product called SuperThrive. Follow the instructions and water with that. This is a strange product. It is a synthetic vitamin but it actually works when all else has failed. I have used it on important plants that I was sure were just about dead. It's cheap and you really have nothing to lose. If the plant lives where that pic was taken it also needs much more light.

S

Spencer

Your last pics show what might be a fungal infection. Let the plant dry out. Buy a product called SuperThrive. Follow the instructions and water with that. This is a strange product. It is a synthetic vitamin but it actually works when all else has failed. I have used it on important plants that I was sure were just about dead. It's cheap and you really have nothing to lose. If the plant lives where that pic was taken it also needs much more light.

Thanks i will try that! And no it doesnt live there its just while its recovering

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Remember that plants thrive on neglect, dont baby it too much. I agree with chuck about the fungal infection, but I cant offer advice on that subject.

Ask a Question