Help My Indoor Avocado Tree is drooping....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

This is my first avocado tree experience and I need help...

For the past few weeks my avocado tree has been looking very sad and the leaves are not as strong as they use to be. Can someone please help me save my avocado. The leaves use to be nice and straight and healthy...

Attachments

• 20180611_090022.jpg
    20180611_090022.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 5,261
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi All

This is my first avocado tree experience and I need help...

For the past few weeks my avocado tree has been looking very sad and the leaves are not as strong as they use to be. Can someone please help me save my avocado. The leaves use to be nice and straight and healthy...
It appears that your avacado is malnourished. I see yellowing leaves with dark veins which means the plant is starving for nitrogen. Also, and I cannot tell for sure, but it appears that the container is a tad small. In any case feed your tree with a good balanced organic fertilizer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thank you for your response.
Sorry i am a novice at this.
How is the plant starve of nitrogen?
What is a good organic fertilizer to use?

thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
thank you for your response.
Sorry i am a novice at this.
How is the plant starve of nitrogen?
What is a good organic fertilizer to use?

thanks
Plants are just like people. They must be fed or they will die. A plant must have certain things to live. Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. NPK. A plant must also have minerals such as Iron, Sulphur, Copper, Manganese plus a bunch of other minerals. A plant gets all of these things from a balanced fertilizer. I have never been to the UK so I don't know what fertilizers are available there but I am sure that someone on this forum will answer this question shortly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plants are just like people. They must be fed or they will die. A plant must have certain things to live. Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. NKP. A plant must also have minerals such as Iron, Sulphur, Copper, Manganese plus a bunch of other minerals. A plant gets all of these things from a balanced fertilizer. I have never been to the UK so I don't know what fertilizers are available there but I am sure that someone on this forum will answer this question shortly.
Thank you for your reply and information i will keep those in mind when purchasing the fertilizer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So i need a bigger pot as well. :) what diameter should i get?
From your picture it APPEARS that your pot is too small. Send more pictures and I can tell for sure, but, you will have to change pots sooner or later, probably sooner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
diameter 6 inches
Height 5 inches
Avocado 17 inches tall
Way too small. Get a container at least twice a big. Avocados don't like to be root bound. They also have a habit of their roots growing in circles which will stunt the tree. When you repot inspect carefully how the roots are growing. If you see any growing in a circle get a box knife and cut that root. Over all avocados don't produce very well in a container and as the plant grows you must keep getting larger and larger containers. And if you can get a breathable container. Plastic is not the best for avocados.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thank you for the advice. I want this avocado to be an indoor plant. How do i maintain a reasonable size of the avocado tree?

Sorry why do i need to cut the root which are growing in a circle?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
thank you for the advice. I want this avocado to be an indoor plant. How do i maintain a reasonable size of the avocado tree?

Sorry why do i need to cut the root which are growing in a circle?

Thanks
You cut the root because if you don't the root will keep growing in a circle and eventually will literally choke the tree, making it susceptible to all kinds of diseases and death.

An avocado will grow to 30 ft tall. You can keep the top pruned at the expense of loss of fruit to keep the plant shorter but there isn't anything you can do to keep the roots from growing, thus requiring a larger and larger container. Did you grow this plant from a seed or is the tree grafted?

Ask a Question