Avocado tree help

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am new to the forums but I like gardening and decided to take on growing an avocado tree. It’s done great but lately there’s been lots of pop-up showers and the ground hasn’t gotten to be very dry. My avocado used to look very bright with large leaves and it’s sad to see it in the shape it is now. Does anyone know what is wrong with my avocado tree and what I can do to fix it?

Attachments

• 62FB0B31-7920-40FF-A43B-64B6CEB07F88.jpeg
    62FB0B31-7920-40FF-A43B-64B6CEB07F88.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 371
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
it's suffering from one or more fungal infections, probably from staying too wet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Would switching the dirt help or is it too long gone?
It will come back. Many if not all fungi live in the soil so when you change soil get rid of ALL of it. This means you will have to wash away completely all of the soil from the roots. After this is done I would sprinkle horticultural cornmeal or whole ground cornmeal on the new soil after replanting. Cornmeal is the favorite growing medium for a beneficial fungi called Tricoderma. It will help in bringing your tree back. You should also use a copper based fungicide spray. But the main thing is to have excellent drainage and to not let the tree stay wet. Slightly damp around the root system is what you should strive for.

Ask a Question