Are you spending that much on your gardening?

Reaction score
If gardening is your hobby are you spending that much in order that your garden will look beautiful and lovely?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I first started my gardens some 12 years ago I was spending a lot of money for plants, now I don't spend much on plants, I save seeds or trade for plants and seeds, I really don't have much more room for new plants so spending is way down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Its not something I spend a huge amount of money on for the same reasons as @Fernsdaddy. Mainly in spring for some perennials and the vegetable seedlings. I'm in a climate where we can only garden outdoors 5-6 months out of the year. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I am not much of a garden person although I love our garden especially with the fruits that we harvest from time to time. My husband is the one tending our garden. He spends about 30 minutes at the least for watering the plants and probably another 30 minutes to clean up the weeds. When transplanting, he spends an hour or so. Those transplanted into pots are for giveaways to friends who have requested seedlings and planting materials.

Reaction score
I am not much of a garden person although I love our garden especially with the fruits that we harvest from time to time. My husband is the one tending our garden. He spends about 30 minutes at the least for watering the plants and probably another 30 minutes to clean up the weeds. When transplanting, he spends an hour or so. Those transplanted into pots are for giveaways to friends who have requested seedlings and planting materials.

it is nice to know that you are planting not only for your own garden but you had this generosity of giving to other people what you had transplanted in order to give life to those plants. You and your husband had a wonderful deeds. :)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
My garden is fertile which forces me to attend to it daily. I have never regretted on how much I spend there as my harvest is sufficient for me and sometimes I can sell extra vegetables when I can not keep them. I sometimes use herbicides which keep my garden free from herbs for a long time. I plant potatoes and some prices also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
If gardening is your hobby are you spending that much in order that your garden will look beautiful and lovely?
not sure your sentence, "spending that much" But, if your asking how much we spend to make it beautiful. First, I have to count my personal time per hour, then the materials, then the cost of the electric to run the water to water the plants. Then my time per hour to research. etc. etc. Honey I would say THOUSANDS of dollars and beyond. We have actually (as an example) drove truck loads of soil in to areas to make it as it is today. Guess what that costs. LOL.

Reaction score
I'm very cheap I rarely spend on my garden but that doesn't mean it doesn't look good though because I am also quite creative and I put a lot of elbow grease in my work to beautify my baby flowers and herbs. I have the basic pruning shears and shovels-- those are the only tools I spend on and it was so many years ago. I build my compost from scratch organically from the mountains near my home. I have no use for store bought fertilizer since I also have farm animals.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The most costly item I've had so far is my soil. I'm picky regarding what type I use, so that's what I shell out the most money on. In terms of seeds and all of that great stuff, those aren't very costly at all

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
At the moment I am not spending much on my garden because I have no room for new plants. I like to get discount plants when I see ailing plants and cuttings from other people when I see a plant I like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't spend that much for my garden since I am on a very tight budget! Usually, I can find flower seed and vegetable seed packages in the Dollar Stores and tried those out. They have worked out wonderfully so far and give me much joy to see things growing from seeds with my own hands.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I do not know the exact amount I have spent but I can tell you it's an obscene figure. Then again, I have two hobby greenhouses, heaters, about 60 pots, 4 cold frames and all of the watering, fertilization injectors, solar powered fans and toys and all of it in a small back yard. That was initial set up - probably around the $6k mark, or so. Plus I have a small growing area in my basement for starting the seedlings - I grow a lot of hot peppers who need a very early start and it costs too much to heat the greenhouses in the dead of winter.
I am buying less seeds but they never comprised a large percentage of my costs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Our main input is time. When the weather permits, we spend between two and eight hours per day, each, working in the garden.

Cost of tools and equipment doesn't work out too expensive over the fifty years we've had them.

Pruning and removal of trees is the major cost. We removed 22 x 40 year old conifers (as a hedge) this year and created a new bed, 55ft x 4ft, in their place.

The only other major regular expense is good quality potting compost for starting seed off, potting on, making hanging baskets, renewing soil in large pots etc. We buy between 3,000 and 6,000 litres of compost each year. (about 1,500 - 3,000lbs). As most of it is used for plants that we sell for charity we recoup a lot of the costs.

Ask a Question