Are you spending that much on your gardening?

Reaction score
I'm very cheap I rarely spend on my garden but that doesn't mean it doesn't look good though because I am also quite creative and I put a lot of elbow grease in my work to beautify my baby flowers and herbs. I have the basic pruning shears and shovels-- those are the only tools I spend on and it was so many years ago. I build my compost from scratch organically from the mountains near my home. I have no use for store bought fertilizer since I also have farm animals.

It is nice to know that you also rarely spend for your garden and you are just using your creativity to make your garden beautiful. :)

Reaction score
I don't spend that much for my garden since I am on a very tight budget! Usually, I can find flower seed and vegetable seed packages in the Dollar Stores and tried those out. They have worked out wonderfully so far and give me much joy to see things growing from seeds with my own hands.

It is always exciting and very fulfilling if you will be the one to grow your own plant rather than buying plants that only you will continue growing it. Good job!

Reaction score
not sure your sentence, "spending that much" But, if your asking how much we spend to make it beautiful. First, I have to count my personal time per hour, then the materials, then the cost of the electric to run the water to water the plants. Then my time per hour to research. etc. etc. Honey I would say THOUSANDS of dollars and beyond. We have actually (as an example) drove truck loads of soil in to areas to make it as it is today. Guess what that costs. LOL.

why not sure in my sentence?....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I do spend a fair amount on my gardening efforts annually.
Top 3 or 4 items would be...

1. Greenhouse Hardware, always looking to improve irrigation, timers...
2. Mulch, Potting Soil, Amendments, need to buy in bulk
3. Yard Hardware, generally hoses, nozzles, drip irrigation
4. Plants and Seeds

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, I wouldn't say that I spend too much on it.
I see it as a nice and peaceful hobby, something I can get enjoyment out of at the end of the day, and the upkeep isn't really anymore than most other hobbies would be when you think about it. Something like gaming or reading require purchases, probably just as frequent, and maybe even more expensive than gardening. I think it's all the same, in the end.

Ask a Question