JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I know very little about berries of any kind. Actually, I know nothing about them. Zero experience.

These berries have been growing along side of my driveway for years. They grow nearly every year, although less than they used to. My mom told me the were raspberries, but I know they aren't. After that, I looked up blackberries and it looks like them, but I wont eat anything I'm not 100% sure of. I know you guys know what they are...so, are they blackberries?

DSCN5840.png

DSCN5842.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, those are what we call dew berries here in Texas but they are wild blackberries. They don't get big like store bought but are excellent if you get to them before the birds, rats, field mice, possums and coons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Do they turn black when they're ripe? If yes, then I agree that they're blackberries:) In my country, you can often find them in forests. I remember eating them when I was a child. They're extremely sour. I must say it's not my favorite kind of berry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do they turn black when they're ripe? If yes, then I agree that they're blackberries:) In my country, you can often find them in forests. I remember eating them when I was a child. They're extremely sour. I must say it's not my favorite kind of berry.
The ones here are sour when they are red but when they turn black they are beyond delicious. When I was a kid every spring a bunch of us went berry picking and we would pick gallons and gallons of them. We froze them, we made jam and jelly, cobblers, pies, even ice cream and ate so many we almost got sick.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes they turn black. Ironically I saw hundreds of these plants today along a woodland trail. Tried a black one but did not care for it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There's lots of subspecies of Blackberries, the taste varies a lot, worth trying a few different bushes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The ones here are sour when they are red but when they turn black they are beyond delicious. When I was a kid every spring a bunch of us went berry picking and we would pick gallons and gallons of them. We froze them, we made jam and jelly, cobblers, pies, even ice cream and ate so many we almost got sick.
To be honest, even when they turn black, they're still too sour for me:confused: I don't like them at all. I prefer raspberries.
However, I must say that the blackberry ice cream sounds interesting!

Reaction score
Try slumping the berries in sugar when they turn black. That should sweeten them up enough to put on ice cream and for shortcake. They look delilcious!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you, this sounds like a good solution:) Unfortunately, I have to limit sugar in my diet, so I try not to eat any desserts. Instead, I eat a lot of delicious, healthy vegetables. In some ways, tomatoes are better than chocolate, lol:D

Reaction score
The way to tell if it is a blackberry plant is to give it a hug and if you feel pain from a thousand barbs then you have a black berry bush. That is definitely a black berry bush.

Ask a Question