Leaf spot on Blackberries?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I believe I have leaf spot on my blackberry plants. Would it be wise for me to spray a copper fungicide in the winter now, or wait till early spring when new growth begins? I live in central florida. Thanks.

Shane

Attachments

• IMG_2400.jpg
    IMG_2400.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 284
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
you could have 2 possible viruses
1.insv<Impatiens Necrotic Spot virus>
2.Septoria Leaf Spot
would recommend to pick a leaf and and some good photos and take it down to your local county cooperative extension, before you do anything.. they have master gardeners that can help you and tell you exactly what you need to do....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Being in Florida at this time of year it could be something other that what @majorcatfish has stated. He is correct that the only sure way to know what is going on is to take a sample to local experts who can actually touch and see the plant. It looks like you have a substantial investment in your berries and as such I wouldn't do anything until I knew for sure what is going on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

Have you put a filter on the photos? It's difficult to tell much from them... Also a close up of the leaves would be useful (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
the nice thing about blackberries<mainly semi-erect cane varieties> you can tip the floricanes in the fall and have new plants ready to plant in the spring.

by the way you have a very nice t-trellis system.

use to be a very avid blackberry grower had 200' of them <triple crown thornless>...

keep up the good work they will be fine....

001 - Copy (24).JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for the responses. I will try and take some better pictures of the leaves and take some to my local extension agent and see what information they have to offer.

Shane

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some better pictures of the leaves. Let me know what you all think. Thanks for the help.

Shane

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 284
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 329
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 302
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 284
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the extra photos! Is there a filter on them? It's difficult to gage the colours - they look quite blue.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted Natchez and osage. I had the soil tested and not really low in any nutrients. So far I've only fertilized with a handful of 10-10-10.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
this is just me but, would add greensand and gypsum and then do a light till no more than 3" on each side and 24" away from the crowns, and this spring <march> top dress the area with 17-17-17
since you are on the southern most of their growing zone you might be beyond their disease tolerant zone, then you maybe received disease plants from the growers....

you might look into Chester blackberries" thorn less" zone 8-9..

trust me i feel your pain..

Ask a Question