Are there any fruits that grow well indoors

Reaction score
I want to have my own garden soon, but will not have a whole lot of space to plant it. I might have an outdoor balcony or a stoop type of thing but no garden. I want to grow fruits, veggies and herbs if possible and will probably have plants both indoors and outdoors. What suggestions to you guys have?

Reaction score
I put my potted key lime and lemon bush in the house during the winter and outside during the summer. They both produce limes and lemons.

Reaction score
You can grow cucumbers and melons indoors? I always thought they needed lots of sunlight, especially melons. Would that include watermelons, as well?

Reaction score
Are they as sweet as the larger ones? I've seen the small ones in the store. They look cute(?) and all but I'm concerned that they may not have the flavor that I prefer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I've heard good reports, and am trying a small melon for the first time this year.
I don't know if it will be fair to judge it on this year's weather.

Reaction score
Some fruits have dwarf/compact varieties (they either occur naturally or are genetically engineered). I've seen these in strawberries, apricots, figs, and a few more. You can also grow a small vine of grapes if you have room for them!

Reaction score
We have two fig trees we grow indoors in the winter and put them outside in the heat of the summer. We get quite a few figs off of them and they are really rather exotic looking plants. They do grow to a large size, so the pot you put them in needs to be fairly large.

Reaction score
I've seen strawberry pots designed to hang from a balcony or in a window for what amounts to indoor growing. Same with tomatoes. I've also heard that dwarf citrus trees produce well indoors if kept warm enough and given enough sunlight. You might want to consider investing in some good lighting if you intend to grow indoors. It helps a whole lot.

They aren't plants, of course, but I consider mushroom cultivation to be gardening, so I figured I would suggest that as well! Most of the mushrooms which can be cultivated at all (not many can be yet, sadly) can be grown indoors. I strongly suggest oyster mushrooms and shitake as being the easiest for a beginner. They're both very tasty and extremely good for you as well!

Reaction score
I want to try my hand at growing lemons inside. I've always been skeptical about it because our winters are harsh, but with the lemon plant being inside I may have a standing chance. I'm excited to try this. I saw somewhere, where you can take the seeds from a lemon you have at the house and plant them. Anyone ever had any luck with this?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen lemon seeds planted in cups but have not tried it myself yet. I would not have thought of growing mushrooms in the house but it is a great idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those sound like great selections, can you grow strawberries and blueberries indoors?

Reaction score
Growing lemons inside a house intrigues me. I thought they needed lots of sunshine, lots of warmth. I don't see how you could grow blueberries inside a house. The blueberry bush tends to get pretty big. I don't think they come in a dwarf variety either. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on this fact.

Reaction score
I read somewhere that citrus, nectarine and peaches are great fruits to grow indoors.

Ask a Question