Are there any fruits you can grow inside your house?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Because I live in a relatively cold place, I'm wondering if there's any fruit I can grow inside my house.
It's pretty cold outside at the moment so I don't think growing fruits outside is ideal as of now. Obviously during the spring and summer it's perfect but winter time is always a disaster!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Because I live in a relatively cold place, I'm wondering if there's any fruit I can grow inside my house.
It's pretty cold outside at the moment so I don't think growing fruits outside is ideal as of now. Obviously during the spring and summer it's perfect but winter time is always a disaster!
It all depends on how much sunlight you have

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You can grow berries indoors:) They don't need a lot of space. If you like spicy foods, choose a chili pepper plant. My boyfriend used to have one. It was very pretty and it beared fruit all year long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think you can grow strawberries indoors. If I recall right my mom used to grow some in the kitchen when I was a kid. Most fruits that I can think of grow on trees, so your best bet is something small like a berry bush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Berries grow pretty well indoors with minimal fuss. Alpine strawberries do well indoors. I never really dabbled with dwarf trees since I'm not sure how much care would be needed for them to be healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love Alpine strawberries! They're sweet and super yummy. I wish they were bigger:) Do you think I can start growing them indoors in winter? I'm sure that a bowl full of fresh Alpine strawberries would make me very happy:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You can grow anything indoors as long as you can meet the needs of the plant. Look around at your local nurseries for dwarf and container varieties and read up on bonsai. I have seen pictures of citrus fruit grown indoors in containers, but I have never attempted this myself, as I've not needed to.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you had like a Day Room where sun is coming in more than any other area of the house that would be great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If I remember right, my mother planted strawberries in a window box when I was a kid. When the weather got nicer she would put them out on the concrete roof and when it got cold she would bring them in on the window sill. We always had strawberries. Now, I was really little so I can't help you with what kind they were specifically, but my grandmother told me that most kinds of strawberries are pretty hardy and take little maintenance. I know pepper plants can do okay indoors and there are some smaller lemon trees that you can grow in a pot. Fresh lemons can be used in all sorts of cleaning supplies and pantry items. I'm thinking of trying the lemon tree myself. Let us know what you decide!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been considering turning a corner of my kitchen by a HUGE picture window into my own personal garden and this is such great information is so interesting. I knew strawberries were an option, but I had never heard of fruit trees indoors! How cool!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have been considering turning a corner of my kitchen by a HUGE picture window into my own personal garden and this is such great information is so interesting. I knew strawberries were an option, but I had never heard of fruit trees indoors! How cool!

There are dwarf fruit trees that many growers (especially online) sell now. There are also dwarf multi-fruit trees out there to. These are great when you have a limited space. They produce fruit quickly and I have heard they are delicious.

Ask a Question