How to grow fruits in a Tropical Climate?

Reaction score
Hello! I'm from the Philippines and I'm new here, and I really want to start growing fruit trees outside our house.

My problem is that the Philippines is a tropical country, and we only have a dry and wet season. I'm not sure as to what kinds of fruits can effectively grow on a climate like this - as the only ones I know that grow on our country are: coconuts, mangoes, apples, bananas, tomatoes. But I'm not sure if these trees are grown with special care, and I'm only a beginner, so I'm afraid I might be able to choose the wrong fruit and waste time.

Do you guys have tips as to how I could grow fruits in a tropical climate? As in, the dos and the don'ts, and all that? Thank you!

Reaction score
I live in the northeastern US so what grows for me obviously won't work for you. I would suggest that you Google it, what fruit trees can be grown in the Philippines. You should come up with a ton of information for what you are trying to do.

Reaction score
Hi Skywatcher - one of the biggest tips I can give is not to try and grow something that isn't suitable to your climate and if you bear that in mind you can't go too far wrong - as there are many fruits that are known to grow extremely well in your climate.

Apart from the ones that you have already mentioned - Pineapples, Papayas. Guavas, Limes and Grapefruits grow incredibly well where you live as do watermelons - so if you have a garden center or nursery near by - now that you know what you are looking for I would go and see what they have available and how healthy the plants look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
Hi Skywatcher, nice to see a fellow Filipino on the site :)

Our weather is perfect for tropical plants and usually they are very low maintenance. They get ample sunlight and never have to deal with frost or fluctuating temperatures. As a bonus, they make your house and garden much cooler, a blessing during these humid times.

We have a lot of trees or bushes to choose from, and you don't even have to spend a lot on seeds- just visit your nearest local marketplace and select some fruit that you really like. We're spoiled for choice: avocados, Indian mangoes, Philippine mangoes, calamansi, soursop (guyabano), jackfruit, santol, star apples (caimito), papayas and guavas. If you find a fruit that is to your taste, dry the seeds for a few days, soak in warm water overnight to jump start their growing process, and then plant in your little seedling pots til they sprout. My mom usually grows a few in the same pot then pinches off the ones that look spindly. That way, she selects the strongest of the bunch.

You just have to take care to pick good soil, organic fertilizer to counteract our high air pollution (they're already getting chemicals from the air, might as well give them something more wholesome from the ground) and to water them as they need it. Since we're nearing our rainy season, that need gets pretty much taken care of.

I hope this answers your question and I look forward to seeing what you plant in your garden :)

Reaction score
Hello! I'm from the Philippines and I'm new here, and I really want to start growing fruit trees outside our house.

My problem is that the Philippines is a tropical country, and we only have a dry and wet season. I'm not sure as to what kinds of fruits can effectively grow on a climate like this - as the only ones I know that grow on our country are: coconuts, mangoes, apples, bananas, tomatoes. But I'm not sure if these trees are grown with special care, and I'm only a beginner, so I'm afraid I might be able to choose the wrong fruit and waste time.

Do you guys have tips as to how I could grow fruits in a tropical climate? As in, the dos and the don'ts, and all that? Thank you!
Wow, I am actually surprised that you can grow apple trees there in the Philippines. I live in a tropical climate area also. We don't have any apple trees here because of our climate. I guess because it's always hot and the apple trees wouldn't be able to survive. But I grow a lot of tropical fruits in my backyard such as yellow plum, gooseberry, tamarind, sweetsop, soursop, sugar apple, avocado, sugar cane, passion fruit, pomegranate, carambola, etc. I am pretty sure you can grow these tropical fruits there in the Philippines... :D

The only suggestion I have best for you is buy some fruit trees from your supermarket and a bag of fertilizer. Buy the ones that come in pots already. Just mix the dirt up with the fertilizer and water them everyday with enough sunlight. When they begin to grow you can then transfer them into the ground. But make sure to keep watering them... ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
United States and at times out of country
Hardiness Zone
10b and 6a

You can grow a large variety of exotic fruits. But what is your humidity levels? With high humidity you will have a lot of variety. With a dry climate it may be more difficult. If you are in the mountains and have a cooler season at a certain time of year, then you may be able to grow apples and tomatoes from seed. Tomatoes are the easiest and you may often get them in sprouting up even when you don't want them.The bananas and mangos shouldn't be a problem; but the banana is best planted from plant, and the mango can be easily grown by using the seed of one you have eaten - I have done it several times. The coconut trees need time and a lot of space. The coconut in its husk will take up to 9 months to sprout. Then it can be left in a soil filled 3 gallon bucket for 3 to 6 months. Then it can be replanted. If you begin some things maybe you can post the new sprouts. Happy planting!

Ask a Question