What Kind of Fruits and Veggies Can I Grow Indoors?

Reaction score
I love gardening, when I was a child I went to Mississippi every summer and I have such fond memories of gardening. We used to harvest peas, corn, tomatoes and much more. I have always lived in an apartment building and have never been able to garden outdoors.I am currently researching what type of fruits and veggies I can grow indoors. Any ideas would be appreciated. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love gardening, when I was a child I went to Mississippi every summer and I have such fond memories of gardening. We used to harvest peas, corn, tomatoes and much more. I have always lived in an apartment building and have never been able to garden outdoors.I am currently researching what type of fruits and veggies I can grow indoors. Any ideas would be appreciated. (y)
First of all you will need lots of sunlight, a minimum of 5-6 hours preferably 8-10. If you have the sunlight you can grow a lot of things depending on how much room you have. I have grown cherry tomatos, peppers, lemons, limes, herbs, lettuce, kale, all kinds of things indoors over the years.

Reaction score
Wow, you have grown all those things indoors? I am so eager to start but I want to do it while the weather is warm; during daylight savings time the sun is up for plenty of hours and I have two very sunny areas in my apartment. This makes me very hopeful and excited. Thank you Chuck!:D

Reaction score
I have grown hot peppers, tomatoes and a variety of herbs indoors. When you look for varieties, there are often smaller "planter" varieties of veggies that will do better indoors than the larger ones. I am fortunate to face Southwest here and I get a lot of daylight in my place. Some plants will do well indoors but are not really suitable - cucumbers and similar plants like to sprawl and can take over a room if given a chance.

Reaction score
Thus far we've grown sugar snap peas, lettuce, tomatoes and spinach successfully indoors. These seem to be easy starters. Herbs are always good. Don't forget things like cress and mustard too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never had any luck growing fruits and veggies indoors, but have had luck growing peppers, carrots, onions, and strawberries in planter boxes on my patio. The patio gardening method also allows you to get outdoors for a little while and enjoy some fresh air.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
We grow strawberries, blueberries and chilies indoors. They're doing great!:) I also have a big lemon tree in a container, but it doesn't produce any fruits yet. It's too young, I think.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We grow strawberries, blueberries and chilies indoors. They're doing great!:) I also have a big lemon tree in a container, but it doesn't produce any fruits yet. It's too young, I think.
What kind of lemon. Lemons make great indoor plants and produce a lot of fruit. They might have a few easily fixed problems though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
What kind of lemon. Lemons make great indoor plants and produce a lot of fruit. They might have a few easily fixed problems though

Unfortunately, it's a lemon tree grown from a seed, so I'm afraid that making it produce fruits will be complicated. It's around ten years old, I think, and it's almost as big as me;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Unfortunately, it's a lemon tree grown from a seed, so I'm afraid that making it produce fruits will be complicated. It's around ten years old, I think, and it's almost as big as me;)
Don't give up. From seed it will take between 7-10 years. Your might give it a good haircut to promote growth and blooming. And keep it rotated in the sunlight

Reaction score
Thus far we've grown sugar snap peas, lettuce, tomatoes and spinach successfully indoors. These seem to be easy starters. Herbs are always good. Don't forget things like cress and mustard too!

Tthat is so awesome, I am so interested in growing my fruits and veggies indoors. Spinach and asparagus are my favorite veggies, I would love to grow them on my own. They are both so expensive here in the Midwest; which is one of the reasons I want to grow my own produce and the other reason is because of the pesticides used commercially. (y)

Reaction score
Tthat is so awesome, I am so interested in growing my fruits and veggies indoors. Spinach and asparagus are my favorite veggies, I would love to grow them on my own. They are both so expensive here in the Midwest; which is one of the reasons I want to grow my own produce and the other reason is because of the pesticides used commercially. (y)

Spinach is so easy honestly, it's a great starter and has been one of our most successful foods. It's a pretty thirsty plant so you have to make sure to keep it well watered if you're growing in containers, but other than that it's pretty low maintenance and just kind of gets on with growing without much input.

One thing I would suggest is to make sure that you plant a good amount. I always completely overestimate how much will grow and end up with only a small yield.

Pesticides bother me a lot too, home grown food just feels so much cleaner. And it tastes better too ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Don't give up. From seed it will take between 7-10 years. Your might give it a good haircut to promote growth and blooming. And keep it rotated in the sunlight
Thank you for the advice:) I won't gave up, I love lemons:) Currently, I keep my tree on a balcony, it gets plenty of sunlight there, so who knows, maybe it will produce some fruits soon:) It would be really great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for the advice:) I won't gave up, I love lemons:) Currently, I keep my tree on a balcony, it gets plenty of sunlight there, so who knows, maybe it will produce some fruits soon:) It would be really great.
Has it ever bloomed,even slightly?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Has it ever bloomed,even slightly?
No, it hasn't:( Maybe it will start doing it soon though, it grows really quickly and it produces lots of new leaves. I hope it's only a matter of time when I harvest fresh, delicious lemons:)

Ask a Question