What fruits do you grow so you can eat them together?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know I plant vegetables in much the same way of thinking, such as lettuce and potatoes, or Brussels sprouts and Corn. I know fruit is no different - do you like to grow pairs of things, to enjoy them together? Surely I'm not the only one who thinks long term. All gardeners have to have a sense of long term.

Explain away!

Reaction score
To be honest rather than growing pairs of fruit or for that matter pairs of anything edible - my long term view is generally that of providing a varied but constant year round supply of whatever I'm growing and that includes fresh fruit - which I have to say I more or less manage to do - rather than concentrating on growing pairs of something that could be eaten together

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My favorite combination is tomatoes with mung bean sprouts. They both are so yummy! Unfortunately, I can't grow tomatoes anymore, since I moved to an apartment, but I have a big sprouter in my kitchen and a few bags full of mung bean seeds:D

Reaction score
Country
United States
To be honest rather than growing pairs of fruit or for that matter pairs of anything edible - my long term view is generally that of providing a varied but constant year round supply of whatever I'm growing and that includes fresh fruit - which I have to say I more or less manage to do - rather than concentrating on growing pairs of something that could be eaten together

That's also a very valid viewpoint. A lot of growers also feel this way too. I used to be one. Then I noticed nothing I grew could be used in the same dishes together and this bothered me. I like being to able my produce more than once in a meal, so I grew beans and potatoes together. Then I ventured to tomatoes and other things. Lately, the two fruits I've been focusing on are plums and raspberries myself. The plum being the desert or filling to mix with the rasp for a pie.

Reaction score
That's also a very valid viewpoint. A lot of growers also feel this way too. I used to be one. Then I noticed nothing I grew could be used in the same dishes together and this bothered me. I like being to able my produce more than once in a meal, so I grew beans and potatoes together. Then I ventured to tomatoes and other things. Lately, the two fruits I've been focusing on are plums and raspberries myself. The plum being the desert or filling to mix with the rasp for a pie.

Its is - which is why you have me somewhat confused - as to be perfectly honest why would I want to change from growing a wide variety of fruit and vegetables - particularly as I've never once been in the position that you mention - where I was stuck with only one type of fruit or vegetable and nothing to go with it.

Like for instance - although I too also grow beans as well as potatoes - I'm never stuck for tasty combinations - as virtually everything else I grow mixes very well with them too and likewise with the fruit - I'm never short of combinations there either - in fact one of my favorites is plums, apricots, cherries, peaches and or nectarines topped with almond flakes or ground hazelnuts - which of course is why I prefer to focus on growing a wide variety of fruit, vegetables, herbs and nuts and why its generally better in the long term - as that way you will always have something that will pair well with each other throughout the year :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine: Are Maskotka tomatoes from your country?
They are my favourite, and you could grow some in a window-basket.
To be honest, it's the first time when I hear about this variety.
However, 'maskotka' is a Polish world, so who knows, maybe those tomatoes are from Poland:) 'Maskotka' means a small, stuffed toy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wasn't trying to convince you to switch over by any means, keep doing what you're doing. I was merely giving examples of what I do, because I have limited space to work with. I do not have a 'yard' so much as a small plot of plantable land. This is why I brought this thread up, as to not be confused. I should have specified in the title "With limited space" but it seemed too long, and then I just was a dope and forgot to mention it again. I can't grow everything like that, and have a wide variety like most people.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have to be honest. Fruit, to me, is a much higher commitment than veggies in the garden. Fruit trees can take years to get going. Same with berries. And until they get big enough, you have to deal with the birds and deer getting everything before you do.

My main "pair" is tomatoes with basil. That is about as scientific as I get. I'm fairly new to the gardening thing though, so right now I'm keeping things small and seeing what I can handle. I'd love to do blueberry bushes in my yard at some point. They do well here in NC, but everywhere we pick them, they've been growing for decades. Starting from scratch, I've heard, is quite difficult.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I never thought on those lines when I went sapling hunting. Every kind of sapling that ensures yield here was my ambition. Today I have mango, jack fruit, cherries, hog plums, sapota, figs, cashew (old one died but I have one now), papaya, mulberry, star berries, star fruit..... We lost our guava but they have been planted again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I personally have a few pairs that I grow. At my fathers house I continue to grow plums and apple trees. I like them because they are a good hardy snack on a summers day, but they also make good snacks for cows if they manage to fall on the ground.

While I'm renting and moving house to house I stick with raspberries and blueberries. You can't go wrong and for the most part my plants do wonderfully!

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I haven't tried growing fruits.It seems a lot harder. Can you guys share your experiences in growing fruits?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I haven't tried growing fruits.It seems a lot harder. Can you guys share your experiences in growing fruits?

I have severala fruit trees. I went hunting for saplings and took care of them in a normal manner. Growing fruits is easier than having seasonal flowers which need to be replanted every season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have only just started to grow fruit, so the answer is no, I haven't thought of growing together the things I enjoy eating together. I merely am trying to grow what I do like to eat and am hoping to establish perennial beds of things that I can keep going. Fruit is something that takes a long time to be able to harvest, and large plants can take up a lot of space in the garden.

Ask a Question