Apple tree

Reaction score
I'm moving next weekend and my new yard has two big and beautiful apple trees in the front yard. They make a great privacy screen and there is a cute little bird feeder attached and many birds hang around. In other words I love them already but I have no clue how to care for them. Does anybody have any tips and suggestions? My biggest question is about how to prune them, if at all.

Reaction score
Lanie I have no clue about apple pruning or caring for apple trees. I envy you.. I wish I could have a small tree and a little space to have a neat little garden.. Your apple trees and bird feeder sounds like the garden of Eden to me.. Best wishes to you for your move to your new home.

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new home!! How exciting! I was been told by the man that pruned our tree the first year we were her that most fruit trees should be pruned so they do not get so tall but instead grow wide. That also makes it easier to pick the fruit.
He pruned our cherry trees by getting up into the middle top. He cut the branches that were sticking straight up the middle so that the sun could also make it's way into the center of the tree. That also stops the tree from growing taller and will encourage it to grow out. Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Maddie - I am grateful for the space. I have never had a yard this big to play around in and I will definitely be like a kid in a candy store when I plan it out.

Dhrynio - Yes, it does make sense and thank you for the advice. I'm a short lady and I don't like climbing ladders ;).

Claudine - Thank you for the helpful link. Your dog sounds like a funny character. I love your Audrey Hepburn quote BTW, it holds truth and wisdom.

Reaction score
I hope you will share pictures when you get in and start planning garden stuff!! I would love to see the new place! I remember how excited we were when we moved in here three years ago, it was so much fun to plan it all!

Reaction score
Congrats on your new house! I had an apple tree growing up and we used to make apple pies all the time. Yummy! You should get a juicer for apple juice.

Reaction score
Dhrynio - I will be happy to post some pictures, but I want to wait until spring when the beautiful blossoms sprout. Yes, I am very excited to be here.
Iluvmario - Thank you and I will have to see what the quality of the apples are. I hope they are sweet and tasty!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love apples because you can make apple chips from them and currently it's my favourite healthy snack:) . I hope you'll have a lot of sweet apples!:)

Reaction score
I would love to know more about pruning and caring for apple trees. I planted 2 sweet 16 trees a few years ago and they are finally big enough that they should start producing anytime. They had a lot of blossoms the last 2 years but they got them early and froze off with the last frost of the season and I ended up with no fruit.

Reaction score
I absolutely loved the apple tree we had when I was growing up. I seem to recall my uncle coming in the spring to prune the tree and also to spray for worms. One year, he forgot to come until it was too late and we couldn't eat the apples because they were full of worms. So you may want to look into spraying as well as pruning. In my opinion, nothing beats just picking an apple off the tree and eating it. What wonderful childhood memories.

Liz

Ask a Question