Is this an apple tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Long story short, I bought a sapling that is not what it was supposed to be and I am trying to identify it. I believe it may be an apple tree due to my googling. However I couldn't find anything that was very convincing. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help with a positive ID. Click the thumbnails below for high res pictures.

Top of leaf:

Bottom of leaf:

All images can be found in a gallery here: https://postimg.cc/gallery/2iertwfmi/

Thanks in advance. I almost forgot. The bugs have been feasting on the leaves so that is why some look jagged and misshaped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It kinda looks like an apple leaf but we need pictures of the trunk and bark. All of the apple trees I have seen have sawtooth leaf edges. Please update your profile as to where you live and which zone you're in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Chuck the pictures above show the trunk and bark. This is a sapling. I was asking because if it's not an apple tree I will replace it with a tree that I know is an apple tree. BTW some animal chewed on the trunk this past winter and killed everything above ground. The trunk was at most 1/4" in diameter. What you see in the pictures above is what has sprouted from the "stump." Tomorrow I'll take a picture of the base and post it. I noticed it has 1 tiny fruit that resembles an apple on it now. If some animal doesn't eat it I will see if it gets any bigger and cut it open to see if it looks like a tiny apple. I'm surprised something this small would fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck the pictures above show the trunk and bark. This is a sapling. I was asking because if it's not an apple tree I will replace it with a tree that I know is an apple tree. BTW some animal chewed on the trunk this past winter and killed everything above ground. The trunk was at most 1/4" in diameter. What you see in the pictures above is what has sprouted from the "stump." Tomorrow I'll take a picture of the base and post it. I noticed it has 1 tiny fruit that resembles an apple on it now. If some animal doesn't eat it I will see if it gets any bigger and cut it open to see if it looks like a tiny apple. I'm surprised something this small would fruit.
I don't think it is an apple. That "fruit" isn't an apple. An apple has a blossom end. That looks more like a blossom and I have never seen an apple bloom at this time of year. The leaves don't look like any apple I have ever seen either. I would just wait until spring and in the mean time see what it does. Apple trees are grafted and if this seedling was chewed off at ground level it won't be what you want. If it grew from seed it takes years to bloom and produce and when it does it won't be the same fruit that was from the parent plant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is the base.

This was definitely not a grafted plant. I'm aware that it takes years to bear fruit which is why I was surprised to see this "fruit." I just wish I could identify what this plant is. After googling some cherry tree leaves I'm wondering if this isn't a cherry tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is the base.

This was definitely not a grafted plant. I'm aware that it takes years to bear fruit which is why I was surprised to see this "fruit." I just wish I could identify what this plant is. After googling some cherry tree leaves I'm wondering if this isn't a cherry tree.
I guess it could be a cherry tree but I have never seen a cherry leaf that wasn't sawtoothed.

Ask a Question