Apple Tree Rust Solution?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Hello Friends,

Recently my Apple tree has had some early signs of rust, a spot or 2 on about 1/3rd of the leaves. I removed some of the more infected leaves and sprayed the tree with some neem oil. After about a week there is still rust, but it doesn't seem to be spreading as quickly. I recently picked up "Safer's 3-in-1 Spray", will this be effective? Is it too late? How detrimental is this fungal disease?

Also, what are some things I can do in the future to prevent this?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello Friends,

Recently my Apple tree has had some early signs of rust, a spot or 2 on about 1/3rd of the leaves. I removed some of the more infected leaves and sprayed the tree with some neem oil. After about a week there is still rust, but it doesn't seem to be spreading as quickly. I recently picked up "Safer's 3-in-1 Spray", will this be effective? Is it too late? How detrimental is this fungal disease?

Also, what are some things I can do in the future to prevent this?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers!
About the only thing you can do to help prevent rust is to spray with an oil in late winter/early spring to smother any spores. Then maintain a spray regimen throughout the year. I would say that the Safers will probably help but I don't think it will be the most effective. I would use horticultural oil. A hose end sprayer will make this a lot easier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United States
I've never dealt with your particular problem but it might be worth trying a fungicide spray. I know Bonide makes a copper fungicide that is organic. And there are synthetic (and probably more effective) fungicides available. They may be expensive though. I'd imagine you'd have to be pretty thorough with the application and use it more than once.

Ask a Question