Anybody have a fig tree?

Reaction score
I want a fig tree. Once you have had real figs.......Yum. I saw one at the farmer's market and it was around 25 dollars and small. Looked like a rip off. I recently saw one at Walmart, yes, Wally world itself for 20 and it was 3 times the size, around 5 ft tall. I really know *nothing* about how to grow them, or where I would put it actually. Experience anyone?........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I want a fig tree. Once you have had real figs.......Yum. I saw one at the farmer's market and it was around 25 dollars and small. Looked like a rip off. I recently saw one at Walmart, yes, Wally world itself for 20 and it was 3 times the size, around 5 ft tall. I really know *nothing* about how to grow them, or where I would put it actually. Experience anyone?........
Forget Wally World. Go to a real nursury and get you the smallest Fig you can. One of the best if not the best is called Brown Turkey. Plant it where it gets morning sun until mid afternoon sun. Keep it well watered and mulched. Fig trees will grow to a sizeable bush, 15' high and that wide. Other than water they don't need much at all. They grow really fast. Get a 1 footer and in 3 years it will be 6' tall and wide. Fertilize in the spring as soon as the leaves begin to bud with organic fertilizer.

Reaction score
I had one planted in my back yard a couple of years ago. It is only 3 feet high or maybe 3 1/2. It just started to come back to life this month after all the cold we had in Atlanta. I am hoping it will grow, I love figs.

Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone! No, I was not going to get at Walmart, it just struck me as I was walking by that hey, there was a fig tree of all things for them to have, lol, I really appreciate your suggestions. I will look for this variety. .

Reaction score
Hmmm - are you sure Ruth B ?

I only ask as I have a great deal of experience in growing fig trees and actually have far more of them than I actually want - as they grow prolifically where I live :D

However being serious now - fig trees are incredibly easy to grow and in fact need very little care at all - other than some yearly pruning.
As for choosing which would be the best variety to grow - as there are very many varieties of fig tree all suiting different climates - I think the the best way - would be to check what varieties are being sold in your local garden stores or nurseries - as that way you would get the variety that flourishes in your area.

As there is so much that I could tell you about how to grow and care for fig trees - rather than make a post that would take up a large amount of space I have included a link to a thread regarding fig trees - which if you read the comments on page 2 - they will I think answer most of your questions

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/haunted-by-a-fig-tree.1594/page-2

if not then - I will be more than happy to help out with any further queries that you might have :)

I would however just add - that you should NEVER FERTILIZE a fig tree unless it is growing in a pot - as you can actually harm a fig tree by giving it fertilizer - as it weakens the tree and often results in splits and cracks in the trunk and branches which then leaves it wide open to various diseases.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the link and all the replies. :) Ask and ye shall receive they say.

Reaction score
I just got my first fig tree so I don't have any experience with them. I picked up Celeste, it is suppose to be a very sweet fig good for drying and eating fresh. There is a ton of info out there on figs, a site I found very helpful and with a lot of info is figs4fun.com.

Reaction score
I just got my first fig tree so I don't have any experience with them. I picked up Celeste, it is suppose to be a very sweet fig good for drying and eating fresh. There is a ton of info out there on figs, a site I found very helpful and with a lot of info is figs4fun.com.
Thanks so much for the info. I'm not ready yet, but I love the replies. They are all greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Well, as of now I don't have any. But I do plan on getting one someday. Happy Gardening :)

Reaction score
I grew up around fig trees. I have several fig trees grown in my backyard yard and I have different varieties too. Living in the US Virgin Islands you can find fig trees grown all over the place. Figs trees are not hard to grow and very easy plant. They can be grown from the seeds of the fruit and grow into large trees.

They grow depending on the climate, but if you take extra good care of them, they can also grow in wetter, cooler areas. Here in the US Virgin Islands they grow all year round because of our tropical climate. :)

Last edited:

Ask a Question