Anybody tried growing in rice husk?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
the herbs i bought were grown in rice hulls. it dries really fasta and is lightweight and the rosemary looks fine to me.
thoughts on riche husk as growing medium?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I don't like rice husks for growing plants. They by their very nature are tough (to protect the kernel) and resist moisture. They also decompose very slowly and add almost no nutrients to the soil. So why do some growers use them? Because there are literally tons of them left over during rice production every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't like rice husks for growing plants. They by their very nature are tough (to protect the kernel) and resist moisture. They also decompose very slowly and add almost no nutrients to the soil. So why do some growers use them? Because there are literally tons of them left over during rice production every year.
I wonder how they would do in seed starting where nutrients aren't really necessary. They might be a lot cheaper than potting soil, coir or peat.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
how about in a cactus mix? sellers here are trying to market rice hulls for cactus mix..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The hulls would probably be great for cacti and bonsai. You could add a little peralite for moisture retention if needed. I was also wondering if you could do a form of hydroponics since they don't readily decompose. Hmmmm. I feel some new experiments coming on. :)

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
The hulls would probably be great for cacti and bonsai. You could add a little peralite for moisture retention if needed. I was also wondering if you could do a form of hydroponics since they don't readily decompose. Hmmmm. I feel some new experiments coming on. :)

i actually saw one video uploaed on youtube, using rice husks in hydroponics. :)

Ask a Question