Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That response was from Pete, he doubts everything :D

Reaction score
ChanellG

If I could, I would try and dig them up, but the roots are embedded in several if not more, meters of builders rubble and cement, which for one are impossible to access without the aid of a JCB and secondly have been advised not to, due to the fact that two to three of the house walls may well be affected by doing so.

Reducing the root system is also not advisable, as you need to be absolutely sure, that you can get the whole of the root run and nothing is left behind. If some of the root run is left or cutting back some of the segments - just encourages more shoots to sprout, which as you can imagine, would lead to even bigger problems arising.:(

Yes you are right, with your suggestion of robbing the roots of light and nutrients.

Which is, the only other solution, that I am aware of at present, as some people have done this around here in the past, by smothering the root run with paving slabs, rocks or concrete, but for some, has caused some major problems such as - the shoots appearing through the floors of their houses, :eek: :eek: which, much as I think this could be a bit of a novelty, having a tree growing inside the house - a fruiting one at that, :D don't feel fully comfortable with the idea and would like to see if I can find an alternative way, which is why I posted the question.

Zigs - That sounds so sad - to go through life having doubts about everything - but can fully understand the disbelief on this one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I can't believe what I'm reading here because I've been wanting a decent fig tree for so long and when we planted one in our garden it just stayed really tiny for about two years, producing two or three figs at a time, and then, without warning , it died. I do have another one which actually grew in our garden as a weed, and after several unproductive years I moved it into a pot. At the time I cut the roots back almost to nothing, but it's survived and thrived and has finally produced two figs this year.

Actually maybe I shouldn't be so surprised because I've heard of non-edible trees of the Ficus species having such invasive roots that they can do the kind of damage you describe. I just didn't think that the edible fig behaved that way. I've certainly never come across an invasive one where I live. My neighbour has one growing just inside his garden wall and it's a decent size but not enormous. I also know someone who had a fig tree growing in his garden which he dug up to turn into a bonsai tree, but obviously that one was a lot smaller than yours too.

After reading your problems I think I'll stick to growing figs in pots. Good luck getting rid of your monster.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Jewell, I wish we'd had this "chat" when you were covering it - you could have put down black plastic to block out all light.

@gata montes Maybe you can try killing the tree by completely covering it up and robbing it of light and nutrients. If I were you I would still (down the road) try and dig and chop up the roots, even if you don't do it all it once, but work in segments. If you can make a significant effort in reducing the root system you just might win the war with the tree.

Chanell, I have had perfect results using cardboard. It works great although in this tree start killing application I may layer more on the tree stumps/starts in the late winter/spring, since the cardboard does decompose over time, but so does plastic. So far no sprouts from the stump since there was no sun. Since this is a new experiment and the tenacity of the filbert starts are quite extreme I'm not kidding myself that I won't have to keep a close eye on the three stumps. Chanell, you are however invited to come and dig roots if you want. It would really speed up my slow, lazy method. I think you would enjoy it, much better than a years gym membership lol. I'll provide your favorite beverage and room and board ;D

One of the reasons I love cardboard is it is so environmentally safe. Have no lawn left in my yard (approximately a 1/3 acre) and much of it was accomplished using cardboard. (The earlier beds I used a double dig method). Plastic gets brittle, cracks, let's in light and breaks down, then is really hard to pull up. (been there, done that). If you ever want to redo beds or smoother out grass/weeds give multiple layers of cardboard a try. It's free and with a little mulch covering the cardboard looks great. Since you don't disturb the soil you don't stir up dormant weed seeds so many beds stay weed free for several seasons. It takes a job that would otherwise take chemicals or backbreaking work and turns it in a no sweat no worry ten minute walk in the park.. I am redoing two good sized beds that are going from perennial beds to veggie beds. Easiest method yet. No digging and I will be able to plant in them next spring.

Reaction score
I know my sister would love to habe that fig tree. The one in my moms yard looks like it's dying because it has so many dead branches on it. She has not had time to take care of it so it has been sitting there looking bad. She wants to save the fig tree becsuse it's been there for a long time, and she doesn't want it to die. I think it's the cicadas that are killing the fig tree.

Reaction score
I know my sister would love to habe that fig tree. The one in my moms yard looks like it's dying because it has so many dead branches on it. She has not had time to take care of it so it has been sitting there looking bad. She wants to save the fig tree becsuse it's been there for a long time, and she doesn't want it to die. I think it's the cicadas that are killing the fig tree.

There seems to be a growing number of people who would like my Fig Tree, and I can tell you, if it was at all possible, all would be welcome to it :D

You mention your Moms fig tree looks like its dying.
I'm not sure that it would be dying due to lack of care, because fig trees more or less look after themselves and don't like too much TLC.
Sounds more like it needs rejuvenating, which means, it would be a good idea to remove all the dead branches and give it a really hard prune all over, which should in theory bring it back to life, quite rapidly :)

Am not sure about the cicadas killing the tree either - as they normally choose very young trees to lay their eggs in, but, if your Moms fig tree already had dying branches, they could have been attracted to those.
Cicadas are known to damage the bark, on branches of young trees, but don't actually kill the whole tree.
The cicadas here, never go anywhere my fig trees, but as with all things, not everyones experiences are the same :)

I think there is hope of saving your Moms fig tree, as its old and very established - rejuvenating it should work.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice I will pass it on to my sister and we will do that. I would like to revive the fig tree because I love eating the figs from it. My mom has two different kinds. One has the purple figs and the other has the yellow figs. I love eating both, but it's the yellow one that needs reviving.

Reaction score
I will take that fig tree and any of the other ones that you want to ship to me! I love figs and would love a yard full of trees. You can keep the magpies though. :eek::D

Reaction score
I will take that fig tree and any of the other ones that you want to ship to me! I love figs and would love a yard full of trees. You can keep the magpies though. :eek::D

You too would be very welcome to have my fig tree and any of the little ones that keep sprouting up all over the place, in fact I had a shock only the other day, when I found that two of the tiny little sprouts, that I thought I had got rid of in the summer, were now suddenly well over a metre tall.:(
As you love figs, am sure you'd love to have the these trees, especially as they fruit twice a year - but you know, thats a hell of a lot of figs to try and eat, however much you like them :D
Just a shame, no one feels quite the same about the magpies, as they do about the fig trees - would happily ship them to anywhere in the world.

Reaction score
I would live the fig trees as well, but not the magpies. I would rather not have the annoyance. I know I would love to have the figs though since I love eating them.

Reaction score
You too would be very welcome to have my fig tree and any of the little ones that keep sprouting up all over the place, in fact I had a shock only the other day, when I found that two of the tiny little sprouts, that I thought I had got rid of in the summer, were now suddenly well over a metre tall.:(
As you love figs, am sure you'd love to have the these trees, especially as they fruit twice a year - but you know, thats a hell of a lot of figs to try and eat, however much you like them :D
Just a shame, no one feels quite the same about the magpies, as they do about the fig trees - would happily ship them to anywhere in the world.

LOL :ROFLMAO: You keep the magpies! Oh I do :love: figs. Eating them fresh or even dehydrating them or making fig preserves. Oh the many ways I could take care of them! Do you know the name of your tree? Perhaps I can look for one here. I did not know that they could produce twice a year! Is that the case with all of them or just the type you have???? I really need to do more research. You have my mind on figs now and I want some!

Reaction score
The ones at my mom's house only produce once a year. I wouldn't mind having one that produces twice a year. That means more figs foe me to enjoy.:D

Reaction score
Shellyann

I really wish I could get rid of my blue magpies and I'm not kidding when I say I have hundreds, I really,really do, but no one seems to want them, maybe I need to try and stop them telling such bad jokes and laughing at them at the crack dawn :D

I don't know the exact variety of my trees, only that they are one of the numerous, very common varieties grown here, but fig trees are grown all over the World and there is a variety to suit every climate, so don't think that you would have any problem finding one where you are.

As I've already said, there are hundreds of varieties of fig trees for you to choose from and apart from taking your climate into consideration, which variety you choose will also be dependent on which type of figs you want, which of course range from brown, reddish brown, black, green to sweet honey flavored ones - sorry I'm probably making your mouth water with these descriptions :D

If you do get a fig tree, as they can easily become massive both above and below the ground, it is sometimes best to grow them in a container, which keeps them at a more manageable size and stops the roots from damaging house foundations, sewer pipes etc. another thing worth remembering, is that fig trees don't like fertilizer and if a fig tree has been over fertilized, it can take up to 3 years for it to recover.

There are numerous varieties of fig trees that produce figs twice a year, but in reality, most fig trees once mature will produce fruit twice yearly. If a mature fig tree doesn't produce fruit twice yearly, it is sometimes to do with the fact, that the tree was over pruned or at the wrong time.

So hopefully this info will go some way toward helping you on your way to fig heaven - but if I've left anything out please feel free to ask.

Oh by the way, I would love for you and everyone else to have my fig tree shoots, but as shipping could be a problem, am quite happy to send a blue magpie over your way and get it , to drop off a few seeds for you. :giggle:

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you can get a magpie to deliver, I would love to have a fig sprout. I live figs and the ones at my mom's are the purple and yellow ones. I like the yellow ones the best although I do pick and eat both. Me and my sister are working on reviving the yellow fig tree so that it can bloom and produce more figs next year.

Reaction score
If you can get a magpie to deliver, I would love to have a fig sprout. I live figs and the ones at my mom's are the purple and yellow ones. I like the yellow ones the best although I do pick and eat both. Me and my sister are working on reviving the yellow fig tree so that it can bloom and produce more figs next year.

:D The blue magpies are currently busy devouring the last of the figs at this very moment, which I think would probably be a very good time for me to redirect at least one in your direction, as they are sure to be loaded with seeds, but as they normally go around in flocks - can't guarantee just one would arrive, mind you more than one arriving, could be seen as a benefit, in that you may land up with a fig tree forest.:D

I remember discussing rejuvenating your Moms fig tree, but have to tell you, that it may not fruit twice next year, due to the fact that you will be having to do some very hard pruning.

Ask a Question