Cluster Fig Tree from cuttings

Reaction score
Country
India
Hello,

I am planning to plant a cluster Fig tree grown from cuttings. Does anyone have experience in growing big trees from cuttings? Do cutting grown trees have a weaker root system?

I am planning to plant this cluster Fig tree in my farm. There are rocks 10 feet below soil, I want the cluster fig tree to penetrate these rocks and go deep vertically below. I actually want to plant a seed grown tree but I have to get it small size from nursery and grow it for months in a small container then plant it in farm due to non availability of big seed grown trees in nurseries.

Cutting grown trees of over 6 feet are readily available in nurseries which I can plant in the farm.

I seek suggestions on this. Fig trees are normally strong and have a strong penetrating root system. But will the cutting grown tree have strong roots as the seed grown tree? Since I require the roots to be strong, is it better to plant a seed grown tree by taking the extra time and effort?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Cluster Fig (Ficus racemosa), also known as Red River Fig or Gular, is a fig native to southern and southeastern Asia, southern China, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, New Guinea, and tropical Australia. It produces cauliflorous clusters of figs on its trunk and main branches which are used by people as food, medicine, and a source of fermented alcohol.

The answer to whether a seedling or cutting-grown tree will have a better root system will depend on several factors. Ar first, a new seedling will usually have stronger root system than a cutting, but this advantage will diminish with time as the cutting becomes more established. Also realize that there is a difference between a seedling grown in situ and one grown as a container plant. The in situ plant will usually have a fully formed tap root while a properly grown containere seedling will usually have the tap root clipped to prevent circling. Ataproot does help a young tree establish in the ground but is of no benefit in a confined root space. Eventually the primary taproot of a tree is replaced in functionality by newer radiating root branches. Another option with some trees is grafting which can give you the preferred traits of a selected cultivar with the vigorous growth of a seedling. However grafting is done less often with figs as the wood is soft and their is less benefit to do so, but it is possible.

Last edited:

Ask a Question